Steve Jobs suffering from a hormone imbalance, will remain CEO

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In an open letter to Apple fans Monday, Steve Jobs revealed that he's being treated for a hormone imbalance that has contributed to his rapid weight loss, but says he plans to remain Apple's CEO for the foreseeable future.

The decision to have marketing chief Phil Schiller deliver tomorrow's Macworld keynote "set off another flurry of rumors about my health, with some even publishing stories of me on my deathbed," Jobs wrote, explaining that for the first time in over a decade he's spending the holiday season with his family, rather than intensely preparing for a presentation.

"As many of you know, I have been losing weight throughout 2008. The reason has been a mystery to me and my doctors. A few weeks ago, I decided that getting to the root cause of this and reversing it needed to become my #1 priority," he continued.

"Fortunately, after further testing, my doctors think they have found the cause?a hormone imbalance that has been 'robbing' me of the proteins my body needs to be healthy. Sophisticated blood tests have confirmed this diagnosis."

Jobs said he's begun treatment for the nutritional problem. And while the solution is relatively simple and straightforward, he warned that it will take until late Spring for him to regain much of the weight he lost during the 2008 calendar year.

"I will continue as Apple?s CEO during my recovery," he wrote. "I have given more than my all to Apple for the past 11 years now. I will be the first one to step up and tell our Board of Directors if I can no longer continue to fulfill my duties as Apple?s CEO. I hope the Apple community will support me in my recovery and know that I will always put what is best for Apple first."

In a separate statement issued Monday, Apple's Board of Directors said "Apple is very lucky to have Steve as its leader and CEO, and he deserves our complete and unwavering support during his recuperation."

"It is widely recognized both inside and outside of Apple that Steve Jobs is one of the most talented and effective CEOs in the world," the statement said. "As we have said before, if there ever comes a day when Steve wants to retire or for other reasons cannot continue to fulfill his duties as Apple?s CEO, you will know it."

Jobs said he decided to share details of his personal situation with the Apple community so that everyone "can all relax and enjoy the show tomorrow."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    So all of those people bashing Gizmodo are now eating crow?

That being said, GET WELL STEVE!
  • Reply 2 of 122
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Wishing Steve all the best in his recovery
  • Reply 3 of 122
    That's good news for Steve, good news for Apple, and good news for shareholders.
  • Reply 4 of 122
    All the best to Steve, get well soon.
  • Reply 5 of 122
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Steve, you've had our support for more than 29 years, including when you were at NeXT and Pixar, and you still have it.
  • Reply 6 of 122
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Get well soon Steve :P, too bad we will miss ya at the last MacWorld, hopefully they create MW10 with Steve officially to end Apple appearance at MW.
  • Reply 7 of 122
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Hope he gets better quick...

Also hope this shuts everyone in the media up about Steve's health. Hopefully this won't overshadow what's going to be announced tomorrow.
  • Reply 8 of 122
    I am sad that media speculation made Steve feel the need to share this personal information, but I feel that he has handled it very well in his press release, and I pass on my sincerest best wishes for his recovery. Steve, the Apple community, and the world in general is very lucky to have you
  • Reply 9 of 122
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Hope he gets better quick...

Also hope this shuts everyone in the media up about Steve's health. Hopefully this won't overshadow what's going to be announced tomorrow.

Well, I guess those that have said he would be dead at anytime can now go F*&K themselves.

I wish you a quick recovery Steve and hope to see you introduce some insane product in the coming year.

• Reply 10 of 122
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    So now every other stock went down except AAPL gained over 3.6%.

Apple stock is weird!
  • Reply 11 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

So all of those people bashing Gizmodo are now eating crow?

That being said, GET WELL STEVE!

We all know Steve hadn't been well last year. But that Gizmodo piece claimed He Is Dying!!! And Won't Be Around the Coming Spring!!!

I'd say ?Hormone Imbalance? is very far from what Gizmodo been implied days ago.
  • Reply 12 of 122
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Apple stock holders don't know if they're coming or going most of the time. They let the stock tank when it should rising and visa versa most of the time.

Wait until tomorrow...it WILL go down. It always does after a keynote no matter what Apple releases.
  • Reply 13 of 122
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    I am so relieved to hear that it is not cancer-related and can be treated easily. I wish him a speedy recovery
  • Reply 14 of 122
    I am VERY glad to that everything is OK with Steve and I for one am glad that he is taking some time off to spend with his family. In a position such as his, it is almost impossible to spend time with anyone outside of work, so Kudos to him for doing this.

That being said, I am sick and tired of the media constantly associating the "health" of Apple with the "health" of Steve. Apple Inc is a COMPANY not an INDIVIDUAL. Now, I know that Steve is the "Icon for all to follow", and everyone automatically associates Steve to Apple, but sooner or later, Steve is going to step down (just like Bill Gates did) and the COMPANY WILL SURVIVE! Apple will continue to punch out "insanely great" products and I imaging that their products will still be "edgy" and others will scramble to play catch up (but they never will ).

Myself.. I guess you could consider me a "fanboy", I love the products, have 6 Macs at home and iPod Touch's for every member of my family, and I love the simplicity of their systems (both hardware and software)..I have stock shares and have converted most of my family over to Macs, but I know that the company will survive and they will continue. I agree with Steve this his personal life should not be everyone's business, and in some ways I do feel sorry for him as it seems like he cannot have a personal life at all while at the helm of Apple. How many other CEO's do you know that are followed so closely as Jobs is?
  • Reply 15 of 122
    Looks like AI forgot to include the last line of Steve's letter? As it is over at M/R:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve Jobs

So now I've said more than I wanted to say, and all that I am going to say, about this.

Translation: "All you shut the f*ck up about my health!"

• Reply 16 of 122
    The most recent math:

Gizmodo = Stock Manipulators

I truly and fervently hope those jerkwads went short on AAPL with their "rumor" and lost their asses Friday and this morning. Damn all such analysts and in-the-know websites to hell.

New from NBC's Jim Goldman: "This is the day the shorts lose. Time to cover, and go slinking back into the shadows. Sing it with me: Bye, bye shorts. This should be the day the Apple shorts died."
  • Reply 17 of 122
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    I think it's really silly how this affects Apple's stock price.

Although I wish Steve all the best and though I know that he's really immortal, I better go save some money for Apple stock being a total bargain the day Jobs quits.

Still, when the pancreas news came some years ago AAPL hardly reacted.
  • Reply 18 of 122
    Steve needs to get off that rabbit food. Were carnivores Steve. We don't graze.

Eat more Red Meat!
  • Reply 19 of 122
    To see what would happen to Apple stock if Steve would get sick or die or step down as Apple's CEO. Actually, a pretty good test at that. \
  • Reply 20 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Steve needs to get off that rabbit food. Were carnivores Steve. We don't graze.

Eat more Red Meat!

1/ We are ominvores...we don't JUST eat meat.

2/ Eat more red meat? he doesn't eat any!

3/ If you are an example of people who do eat meat then it highlights why so many people don't.