FileMaker 10 Pro arrives with interface overhaul

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple subsidiary FileMaker on Monday announced FileMaker Pro 10, a new version of its database software billed as "breakthrough" release that delivers the most dramatic interface design changes in over a decade.

FileMaker Pro 10

The software features a redesigned, customizable Status Toolbar that's similar to browser toolbars. It takes commonly used functions that were previously available only from the main menu and places them within eye view for more streamlined navigation, better workflow and time-saving shortcuts.

"The new interface is the result of years of in-depth research into how people actually interact with databases," said FileMaker president Dominique Goupil. "The result is a major new version of FileMaker Pro that brings the power of databases to everyone whether they create their own databases, or use one from someone else."

Complementing the new interface are handful of other feature additions like Script Triggers, which offers new options for automating tasks and boosting productivity. Users can specify that a FileMaker Script (similar to a spreadsheet macro) be run based on timing or whenever users take a specified action in Browse Mode or Find Mode, such as clicking in a field or exiting a viewing mode.

Another time-saving feature called "Saved Finds" lets users save their favorite find requests and then perform those requests in a single click for quicker searches. For example, a find request can be created for customers in California who've spent more than $1,000 in the past year, but have not placed an order in the last three months. The search can be saved so it can be accessed over and over again in the future.

Leveraging one of the most popular uses of databases -- report generation -- FileMaker Pro 10 also offers the ability to make changes directly to the underlying data from within a report "on-the-fly." Any changes made to the data within a report will also show up immediately in the database, without the user ever having to switch views.

Among the other features new to FileMaker Pro 10 are Send Mail via SMTP, which saves time by sending email directly from FileMaker Pro rather than through an email client; Enhanced Quick Start Screen, a step-by-step learning assistant that makes it easy to create databases from existing data sources like .CSV, Tab, Excel 2007 or Bento 2; and Enhanced SQL support for displaying, accessing and using data from even more SQL sources, including SQL tables in Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Oracle 11g and MySQL 5.1 community edition.

FileMaker Pro 10 is available as an immediate download for $299; upgrades from previous versions fetch $179. A version called FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced includes all the features of FileMaker Pro 10 plus a suite of advanced development and customization tools. New licenses for that version cost $499 while upgrades are $299.

FileMaker Server 10

In addition to the pair of new client offerings, FileMaker also announced FileMaker Server 10 with several new features, including: simplified server management that allows administrators to import and export records using server-based scripts -- no more robots are required -- and an enhanced PHP Site Assistant with 10 PHP Site Assistant themes plus one for the iPhone.

The server software now also offers the ability to send mail via SMTP directly from FileMaker Server 10 without the need for an e-mail client; and a new Database Log Viewer that provides a snapshot of database logs to quickly pinpoint trouble spots.

On top of the features offered in FileMaker Server 10, FileMaker Server 10 Advanced allows up to 999 users to simultaneously connect to FileMaker Pro databases -- about four times the number of live connections in FileMaker Server 10 and in previous versions of FileMaker Server Advanced.

FileMaker Server 10 is available as a direct download for $999; upgrades cost $599. New FileMaker Server 10 Advanced licenses are priced at $2,999, while upgrades fetch $1,799.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Aha! So, this is one thing to mark off the MacWorld announcements bingo card.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The server software now also offers the ability to send mail via SMTP directly from FileMaker Server 10 without the need for an e-mail client; and a new Database Log Viewer that provides a snapshot of your database logs to quickly pinpoint trouble spots.

Mail servers need to be bullet proof on security. I always feel more comfortable letting a real smtp sever handle the final outgoing mail. User authentication is key. If it is a server then it shouldn't be run from the desktop anyway hence no 'e-mail client'.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    I still remember making databases on FileMaker Pro 2! Got version 5 for PowerPC, then didn't really need a reason for it anymore.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Mail servers need to be bullet proof on security. I always feel more comfortable letting a real smtp sever handle the final outgoing mail. User authentication is key. If it is a server then it shouldn't be run from the desktop anyway hence no 'e-mail client'.

That's nice, but this isn't an SMTP server. The FileMaker server has an SMTP client, not a server. It's so you don't need to have FileMaker talk to a Mail client application to send the mail, it can talk to your existing SMTP server directly from FM Server.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple subsidiary FileMaker on Monday announced FileMaker Pro 10, a new version of its database software billed as "breakthrough" release that delivers the most dramatic interface design changes in over a decade. ...

This is a major understatement. They have removed *most* of the main interface elements that have been part of the UI since the very first day. This will require significant re-training of hundreds of staff members where I work.

Also, since most FM solutions use interfaces that are customised to the specific circumstances, everything in development at the moment needs to be re-imagined, re-designed etc. FileMaker just made it easier for the database developer, while simultaneously introducing huge problems for the users.

My guess is that this new version will keep FileMaker professionals in work up to their eyeballs for the next couple of years, but that's good I suppose (in a way).
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

That's nice, but this isn't an SMTP server. The FileMaker server has an SMTP client, not a server. It's so you don't need to have FileMaker talk to a Mail client application to send the mail, it can talk to your existing SMTP server directly from FM Server.

If it sends email it is a server. Just as a standard mail client is also a mail server. You set the preference to send to a specific destination and it sends email to that IP address in SMTP. The major difference is that a typical SMTP server resolves the DNS in the MX record based on the domain of the recipient where with a mail client that value is defined.

My only point was that I distrust swiss army knife applications. A better and safer method in my opinion is to use three dedicated applications. 1) script 2) database 3) mail server

(LAMP comes to mind)

But I have not heard anyone refer to an application as an SMTP client - the word 'client' makes no sense to me.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I am surprised they don't target PostgreSQL 8.3.x and the upcoming 8.4 as one of the enterprise caliber datasource backends.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

If it sends email it is a server.

Actually, no, the other poster is right. Sending email is the definition of an SMTP client. Having other SMTP clients connect to you in order to send mail is an SMTP server.

I agree, though, that having your SMTP account's authentication details all over the place is not good for security.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    I still haven't received the download link for trial. I submitted the request this morning. Anyone having this trouble?
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Actually, no, the other poster is right. Sending email is the definition of an SMTP client. Having other SMTP clients connect to you in order to send mail is an SMTP server.

I agree, though, that having your SMTP account's authentication details all over the place is not good for security.

I stand corrected. After doing a little researching it is true that the term client is being used in the context of SMTP. The actual definition of client I think is a little vague at this point. My previous view was that a client only sent requests and received responses from a server in a client server model such as with a web browser. But I guess in the case of a mail server the final client request sent is the full content of the message to which it does not need a response.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:

Filemaker uses your existing SMTP server and supports full authentication. I have had a hands on with it and it is a real time saver.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

This is a major understatement. They have removed *most* of the main interface elements that have been part of the UI since the very first day. This will require significant re-training of hundreds of staff members where I work.

Yes, this will require an investment in training, but it's good to see the app moving forward.

By the way, I've been scouring the news on this release...

Official Press Release here

MacWorld news story here

MacWorld First Look Here

...and can find no reference to Filemaker 10 being able to directly access AddressBook and iCal.

How is it possible that Bento remains ahead of Filemaker in this regard?
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:

FileMaker 10 isn't acting as a mail server; it makes it possible to send mail from the database to the SMTP server, authenticated if necessary, and without the need of using a local mail client.

In previous versions of FileMaker, you could send mail from FileMaker, but it used your local mail client; now this is no longer necessary.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:

If it sends email it is a server. Just as a standard mail client is also a mail server.

No, you're not correct. A mail client is just that, a client; it requires a mail server to send mail. Any mail that you send with your mail client goes to an SMTP server, which actually sends the mail to the recipient.

All mail has to go through a mail server to be sent to the recipient's mail server, and then eventually to the recipient's mail client.

FileMaker Pro is NOT a mail server.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

This is a major understatement. They have removed *most* of the main interface elements that have been part of the UI since the very first day.

I totally disagree. The status bar is moved, but it contains the same elements that were in FMP 9--you just have to get used to finding them in a new place.

What's more, a database created in 7, 8, or 9 will look exactly the same in FMP 10; if you are used to seeing the status bar, you'll still be able to see and use it, although it'll take up a different amount of screen real estate than the previous versions did.

As a FileMaker Certified Developer who spends his days using this app, I love the new interface. I've been using it for months now, and after a couple of days mousing over to where the old status bar used to be, I'm loving the new status bar.

Combined with some long-requested features, most notably script triggering, saved finds, and report editing on the fly, it's a great release and has been totally stable for me.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Friggin FINALLY!
  • Reply 17 of 31
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

I still haven't received the download link for trial. I submitted the request this morning. Anyone having this trouble?

That's Filemaker's email download bullshit at its best. They never let you download the software when you need it so it's best to prepare beforehand sometimes.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

If security is a concern for a database user, FileMaker has a wealth of options for protecting one's mail account information. For example, a user account can be set so that the user can trigger a script (send mail) but not see its programming; this keeps the end-user from being able to see any of the SMTP authentication information. If, on the other hand, a user has high-enough access privileges to see scripting, he would also be able to do lots of other damage, including deleting data, editing/deleting scripts, layouts, and fields, and so on.

Databases can be locked down in many different ways, and usernames and passwords are encrypted in the database itself. In almost 15 years dealing with FileMaker databases, I've never had a problem with security--and with each new version, security has gotten better.

Security with a FileMaker database is only as good as the person designing the solution.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by longterm View Post

I totally disagree. The status bar is moved, but it contains the same elements that were in FMP 9--you just have to get used to finding them in a new place.

What's more, a database created in 7, 8, or 9 will look exactly the same in FMP 10; if you are used to seeing the status bar, you'll still be able to see and use it, although it'll take up a different amount of screen real estate than the previous versions did.

As a FileMaker Certified Developer who spends his days using this app, I love the new interface. I've been using it for months now, and after a couple of days mousing over to where the old status bar used to be, I'm loving the new status bar.

Combined with some long-requested features, most notably script triggering, saved finds, and report editing on the fly, it's a great release and has been totally stable for me.

I just wish they would re-introduce Filemaker Mobile again, for the Ipod Touch and iPhone, or even the Palm. Up 'til now, I have had most of my apps on my Palm, using Word,Excel and Powerpoint apps with Documents To Go, but been waiting for the iPod Touch to mature, with solid apps available like I have on my old Palm. I regularly use several FM databases on my Palm, and I'd be lost without it. The makers of Documents To Go have advised me they are making a version for the iPod and iPhone, it just needs a new Mobile Filemaker version and that would complete my wish list.

It seems to me that Filemaker have been making very slow penetration in the market, and being part of Apple have missed a trick on not riding on the back of the iPhone and iPod touchs' popularity with a mobile version.

Here's hoping.....
  • Reply 20 of 31
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by longterm View Post

No, you're not correct. A mail client is just that, a client; it requires a mail server to send mail. Any mail that you send with your mail client goes to an SMTP server, which actually sends the mail to the recipient.

All mail has to go through a mail server to be sent to the recipient's mail server, and then eventually to the recipient's mail client.

FileMaker Pro is NOT a mail server.

All I can think to add to your statement is, ``How can one actually think to reason that a mail client is a server?''

This tells me the person knows very little about mail systems.