mac crash!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have an imac that is an intel and it runs OSX leapord and windows xp. My dad plays chess online on the xp part and it got a virus which messed up the whole machine, so we wiped the hard drive clean and had to put everything back on as if it was new to restore it. now when I go to start the mac this one time, it seems to be fine but it will sit at the page with the grey backround with the picture of the apple that comes up right before the little spinning circle apears and it will do absolutly nothing.

(this is a picture of the sign that the mac shows if you ignore the cig)

eventually the apple will turn into one of those signs that is a circle with a slash through it. So to shorten it up, my mac will not boot up, it will kinda start to the page you see when it is booting up, but it will not boot up. I hope some one understands what is going on because i am kinda confused and don't know what to do. If some one could help, I would greatly appriciate it!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimnumberuno View Post

eventually the apple will turn into one of those signs that is a circle with a slash through it. So to shorten it up, my mac will not boot up, it will kinda start to the page you see when it is booting up, but it will not boot up. I hope some one understands what is going on because i am kinda confused and don't know what to do. If some one could help, I would greatly appriciate it!

It sounds like when your hard drive was wiped, it took out Mac OS X as well. You will need to reinstall OS X from the discs you received with your computer - load the first DVD in the drive and hold down the Option key while your Mac boots up. The installation is pretty easy and self-explanatory.

I hope your stuff was backed up!