MacBook screen size comparisons

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I thought this comparison might be of interest to those who are considering purchasing a MacBook or MacBook Pro. I struggle to visualise the difference between the respective pixel counts on the Tech Specs pages ? hopefully this comparison will bring the respective deltas home.

Firstly, the simple real estates:

Secondly, the menu bar and Dock overlaid to give a sense of scale:

I'm shocked at how small the delta is between the 13.3" MacBook and the 15.4" MacBook Pro ? there's so little difference in fact, that it doesn't even accommodate a medium sized Dock at the bottom!

Also, I was surprised at just how much extra space you get with the 17" MacBook Pro. What a whopper!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Just to confirm that I understand correctly: the images are based on the number of pixels?

It would certainly be nice if one could get a display with a higher pixel density in a 15" or 13" Macbook (or Pro).
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I do like my 1920 x 1200 screen, yes
  • Reply 3 of 5
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Just to confirm that I understand correctly: the images are based on the number of pixels?

It would certainly be nice if one could get a display with a higher pixel density in a 15" or 13" Macbook (or Pro).

Yeah. My first thought when I saw how the 15.4" worked out was that it could do with a slightly higher pixel density - maybe 1680x1050 for example...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    This is a really neat thread ! !

Beautifully done ! !

Just to confirm, are the images

(a) the actual physical size of the respective "books", or

(b) a rendering based on the number of pixels at a given density?

Thus are we talking about

(a) actual real estate, or

(b) screen real estate?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    What I've done isn't particularly clever - I've simply superimposed a 1280x800 pixel box on top of a 1440x900 pixel, and then a 1920x1200 pixel box - all the same pixel density.

The idea is to give you a comparison of the real-world usable space found on the various MacBook screens.

Pixel density doesn't really come in to it, because at the end of the day it doesn't actually effect how much space you have to play with - a palette that is 100px will always be 100px wide regardless of which screen you are viewing it on and regardless of the pixel density.