Sony Introduces the Vaio "P"

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Product page

It's hard to tell whether the P stands for "pocket" or "pricey". Although It's really neither, cause it won't quite fit in your pocket, and it isn't quite what you would call expensive either, though it's not cheap.

The most ridiculous thing they did here is with the screen ratio. I think it shows bad judgement. Even if it's sexy looking, I just don't get the ratio of the screen. Give that most web pages are vertical anyway. It looks 16:8 or something. Where a product like this falls down is the OS, Windows itself isn't designed for this size, shape display. OS X isn't either. I am convinced if Apple goes near this type of thing (Mac touch anyone) they will need a completely different variant of OS X. Even if it's not a MT tablet.

The "P" looks good, but I'd say it would be a bit of a pain to use in the real world.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Product page

It's hard to tell whether the P stands for "pocket" or "pricey". Although It's really neither, cause it won't quite fit in your pocket, and it isn't quite what you would call expensive either, though it's not cheap.

The most ridiculous thing they did here is with the screen ratio. I think it shows bad judgement. Even if it's sexy looking, I just don't get the ratio of the screen. Give that most web pages are vertical anyway. It looks 16:8 or something. Where a product like this falls down is the OS, Windows itself isn't designed for this size, shape display. OS X isn't either. I am convinced if Apple goes near this type of thing (Mac touch anyone) they will need a completely different variant of OS X.

The "P" looks good, but I'd say it would be a bit of a pain to use in the real world.

I think it's ugly. And way overpriced. Sony makes crap anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Although on the subject of the screen, it's 1600x768. So that should be enough vertical resolution for web pages.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Meow!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    houseleyhouseley Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

It's far from ugly in my view. And I wouldn't say Sony make crap either. Me thinks you are not being as objective as you might be.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    When it is closed, the case looks like the watercolor paint set I used to used in elementary school.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I can't view this on my iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I can't view this on my iPhone.

What? Oh the flash on the page, right.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by houseley View Post

It's far from ugly in my view. And I wouldn't say Sony make crap either. Me thinks you are not being as objective as you might be.

I've used VAIOs. Sony makes crap, and their "support" is nonexistant. But that isn't even why I hate Sony.

I hate Sony because they keep creating new forms of media that have less compatibility and more restrictive DRM than anything before. Methinks I have more perspective on this than some people on an Apple forum- as primarily a Windows user and an IT worker, I had to deal with the rootkit CD fiasco first-hand. Sony can get bent.

And yeah, I think it's ugly. The short, wide screen is a bad use of ratio, and the keyboard has no place to put your palms. It's also underpowered and overpriced.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    More info here @ Engadget, including some videos made by a drunk persons.

SHOCKER: IT'S NOT ACTUALLY THAT THIN.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I was looking at this for work and school because I need Windows XP for Office 2007 Micro Computer Skills class, but it wouldn't be great for work because I would need an ethernet connection.

Having built in GPS is really nice though.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    jitenjiten Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Product page

Hehe both? To be fair, the unit looks slick and probably with a few adjustments would be an awesome netbook especially if it ran OSX.

Quote:

SHOCKER: IT'S NOT ACTUALLY THAT THIN.

Yeah, - its all about footprint.