Mac industry gathers to discuss future of Macworld Expo

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Macworld Expo organizers hosted a Town Hall meeting last night, featuring an open discussion with Macworld Conference & Expo vice president and general manager Paul Kent.

Rumors have spread that Macworld could go the way of Apple Expo Paris, which folded without Apple's participation. Â*Instead, Kent insists Macworld will go on.

"We come to Macworld to be inspired," said Kent.Â*Â*"This show is going to evolve and you need to know that we are embracing this evolution."

Kent suggested future Macworld Expos could connect with film festivals, musicÂ*Â*festivals, and digital photography.

"We want Apple to go build more great products, and then we'll be here to show you how to use them," he said.

Apple vice president Phil Schiller said in Tuesday's keynote that Apple reaches millions every month through its network of Apple Store retail outlets, far more than the reach of a week-long Macworld.Â*Â*Kent countered by saying only 10 percent of the products being exhibited are actually available in the Cupertino-based company's stores.

Others suggestions during the Town Hall meeting included a return to Boston or New York for future events, or rotating between cities.

According to Kent, 60 companies have already registered for the 2010 Macworld Expo, including Hewlett-Packard, Microsoft, and Other World Computing.

Free registration is already underway forÂ*Macworld Expo 2010.

IDG World Expo invites ideas for the future of Macworld atÂ*[email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If I had to bet my life savings I'd say there will be no Macworld 2011.

Though Macworld 2010 may fall through yet, I wouldn't be surprised. Though, there's a large sentimental group here also.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    what am i gonna do about one night stands with out tradeshows. i'd have to go back to boinking my wife once a year.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    My only suggestion is that they scale it down and turn MacWorld into a "traveling circus" of sorts (have it held in three locations: in Los Angeles, New York and Denver) and focus more on developers. This way, they could increase the face to face meetings that are important to developers and the community and decrease the costs to attend and hold this behemoth event.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    "Cowards die many times before their deaths,

The valiant never taste of death but once."
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Bill Gates will be giving the keynote
  • Reply 6 of 19
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Bill Gates will be giving the keynote

I'm sorry, you probably get this a lot, but... your username is DickPrinter???
  • Reply 7 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

My only suggestion is that they scale it down and turn MacWorld into a "traveling circus" of sorts (have it held in three locations: in Los Angeles, New York and Denver) and focus more on developers. This way, they could increase the face to face meetings that are important to developers and the community and decrease the costs to attend and hold this behemoth event.

Actually that would work. Sort of like an organic/casual WWDC? Sounds good.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to Kent, 60 companies have already registered for the 2010 Macworld Expo, including Hewlett-Packard, Microsoft, and Other World Computing.

MacWorld 2010 - Microsoft will be exhibiting but Apple will not. \
  • Reply 9 of 19
    You know a MacWorld 2010 Dubai, or Macworld 2010 Singapore, or Macworld 2010 Shanghai ... would not be too crazy. Someplace that caters to the International, US, Euro and Australia-Asia-Pacific crowd.

Rather than one big US thing, why not have something not too outlandish in the US, and then have something "International" as well? You do know that a significant portion of Apple revenue, profits, something-or-other (I haven't done the research, just making a point) probably comes from outside the US, right?
  • Reply 10 of 19
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Macworld Expo organizers hosted a Town Hall meeting last night, featuring an open discussion with Macworld Conference & Expo vice president and general manager Paul Kent.…"We want Apple to go build more great products, and then we'll be here to show you how to use them," he said.

Why did it take so long for Macworld to acknowledge that Apple has built great products?

For a long time now Macworld has acted like a nagging wife. Never an accolade without a dig. Never supporting those who dared to stand up to the trolls that dominated its forums. Never setting the record straight. Continually 'demanding' or an 'or else'.

Well, as far as I am concerned, Macworld built a showcase out of somebody else's bricks. But with bad mortar, and now the supervising inspector has refused to extend their building permit.

As evidenced, most of the attendees other than those handling the booths and representing the media are local. And when you divide the number of times that the average visitor tripped the turnstiles entering and re-entering the conference, the 40,000 or so total clicks represents a significantly lower number of actual attendees. Much like American Idol, whose advertisers now realize that 40 million votes a night really equalled less than 5 million viewers when you factored in the number of times most of its audience voted.

So how many of those who attended are true opportunities for a sale? Probably every one of them. However, certainly not as many that walk into all the Apple stores on a daily basis, i.e., 5 million a day.

But there is still one yearly conference that could easily replace Macworld's. That is the annual Apple Worldwide Developer Conferences (WWDC). And it fills in perfectly with Apple's marketing and communication strategies.
    • Attendees are true Apple devotees

• Attendees are not lookie-loos

• Attendees are international, not regional

• The media is controlled

• The message is contained

• Non-disclosures are not contentious, in fact, looked upon 'in favor'

• New product announcements aren't necessarily expected

• New product announcement events are greatly appreciated by the attendees

• Attendees are less likely to disappear throughout the conference

• Third-party developers and manufacturers have virtually full-day opportunities to promote to a devoted and captured audience

So how well will the average consumer reacted to be being 'shut-out'?

Well I would suggest it won't matter a rat's ass. Because they won't be or they don't care.

Talk to the average Apple store visitor and they never heard of Macworld or AppleInsider. Check the current viewers at the bottom of the blogging screens: same handfull of registered names and even in the most discussed blog a smattering of visitors. And if you look at the postings, most of the registered users are just talking off the top of their heads. Why else haven't they taken the time to download a trial version of the product they are dissing? Most likely they don't have a Mac in the first place.

And, why couldn't Apple combine the developer conference and open the door to non-developers for a day or so to the display area, for where, low and behold there is a Macworld booth.

That, and Apple holding their own special product events/announcements like last year, (#40 http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=1#post1359895) , is like having Christmas and a birthday party every 3-4 weeks.

Works for me.

P.S. To nvidia2008: Better yet, an International WWDC scattered around the world throughout the year "would not be too crazy" either. Ah, Paris in the springtime. Hong Kong in the fall.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Apple should just attend CES from now on, like SONY and Microsoft (of which it is a combination of both) and everyone else, since they are no longer a niche market and appeal to the masses.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Apple should just attend CES from now on, like SONY and Microsoft (of which it is a combination of both) and everyone else, since they are no longer a niche market and appeal to the masses.

Most of the Mac software, or for that matter, most software companies couldn't afford to display.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree but I think it should be almost monthly...

January - San Francisco

February - Los Angeles

March - San Diego

April - Austin

May - Orlando

June - Washington DC

July -New York

August - Chicago

Sept - Denver

Oct - Seattle
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I agree but I think it should be almost monthly...

January - San Francisco

February - Los Angeles

March - San Diego

April - Austin

May - Orlando

June - Washington DC

July -New York

August - Chicago

Sept - Denver

Oct - Seattle

The cost would be horrendous and for sure a travelling circus.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

The cost would be horrendous and for sure a travelling circus.

What is more cost effective?

Building a tradeshow booth and using it once a year.

Small regional shows could make more sense.

I'm also not suggesting MacWorld try to replicate the week long lovefest that is MWSF.

Rather 2 day shows in smaller, more affordable venues.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

What is more cost effective?

Building a tradeshow booth and using it once a year.

Small regional shows could make more sense.

I'm also not suggesting MacWorld try to replicate the week long lovefest that is MWSF.

Rather 2 day shows in smaller, more affordable venues.

First of all, Apple is a no-participant. So what is Macworld highlighting that could possibly deliver an audience that the software and hardware developers (SHD) would want to participate in.

Keep in mind, that SHDs would have to have something new each time or their presence would entice nobody. Adobe, Microsoft, Quark, etc., launch a new Mac product, what, once every 2-3 years.

Many software developers are not equipped to send 2-3 of their top personnel and support people to man a booth for 2 days every month. Transportation, accommodations, preparation time, PR, advertising, print materials, show materials, gifts, gimmicks, signage, shipping, booth maintenance, space rental, meals, etc.. etc. Times 10.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'm sorry, you probably get this a lot, but... your username is DickPrinter???

What's the problem? If you need to know, my name is Richard and I own a printing company. Did you question "Booga" too or were you afraid of his answer?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    No offense, I was just being a clown as usual on these here forums.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    I may be known as Jowie74 on here, but my real name is PenisPlotter.