New storage options playing big role at Macworld

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Checking out the latest in Mac-friendly gear is a big part of Macworld, and this year was no exception. Here's our roundup of new storage options, ranging from external to networked from names like HP, Iomega, LaCie, Verbatim, and more.

Hewlett-Packard (HP) has launched a new home server that can work with both Mac and Windows computers. Â*Based on the Microsoft Windows Home Server platform, the HP MediaSmart Server ex485/ex487 is a "central repository for automatically backing up and accessing digital music, videos, photos and documents from multiple computers on a home network." Â*It automatically organizes files from all PCs, streams media across a home network and the Internet, and publishes photos to social networking and photo sharing sites. Â*Also included is a feature that centralizes iTunes music libraries for playback to any networked Mac or PC running iTunes. Â*

Mac, PC, Server, and online (through Amazon S3) backup is also supported. Â*Smart power management settings schedule times for the server to "sleep" and "wake up". Â*Additional drives can be added for capacity up to 9TB in a unit with an Intel Celeron 2.0GHz 64-bit processor and 2GB of 800-MHz DDR2 DRAM standard. Â*With 750GB of space, the server costs $599. Â*For 1.5TB, it's $749. Â*You can pre-order the device fromÂ*Amazon.com for an expected February ship date. Â*

Docks for iPhones, docks for iPods, docks for ... hard drives? Â*That's exactly what NewerTech is offering with is new Voyager Q Hard Drive Docking Solution. Â*It turns any 2.5" or 3.5" SATA hard drive into a bootable and hot-swappable external drive with your choice of interfaces; choose from FireWire 800, FireWire 400, USB 2.0, and eSATA. Â*It has an eject level and an LED display to indicate power on (blue) and when the disk is being accessed (flashing red). Â*Speed transfers up to 300MB/s are yours for $100 fromÂ*Other World Computing. Â*

G-Technology is releasing a new family of external drives based on 2.5" SSD technology: the G-DRIVE mini SSD (120GB for $599 and 250GB for $1,299) and the RAID 0/1 G-RAID mini SSD (250GB for $999 and 500GB for $2,199). Â*Touted as the most rugged and durable external drives in the market, the new lineup provides higher data transfer rates, lower seek times and less power consumption in a cooler, quieter package. Â*They're targeted at "extreme users" who "capture, offload and edit digital content in challenging remote environments". Â*If you're an extreme user, or just want a mini SSD, you can choose between the G-DRIVE, which features a triple interface of FireWire 800, FireWire 400, and USB 2.0, and the G-RAID, which uses eSATA, FireWire 800, FireWire 400, and USB 2.0. Â*More information atÂ*G-Technology's site.

New on the market is the Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive. Â*In three simple steps, users can configure up to 1TB of network storage for backing up all their files, streaming music, photos, video and other multimedia files between computers, networked televisions, popular game consoles and other digital home entertainment devices. Â*Game consoles compatible are Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3. Â*Iomega claims even a novice can be backing up multiple computers and streaming media in less than five minutes. Â*The units run on a custom Linux operating system. Â*Naturally, iTunes is supported, and it's possible to configure automatic backups. Â*You get 2GB of free online storage for backing up selected folders to a data center, unlimited storage for $4.95 a month if you need it. Â*The 500GB drive is available for $159.99, while the 1TB will run you $229.99. Â*VisitÂ*IomegaÂ*for more. Â*

The LaCie Hard Disk MAX is for users who want advanced RAID features with consumer-level ease of use and style. Â*Designed by award winning industrial designer Neil Poulton, the drive boasts of 2TB of storage. Â*Two large-capacity drives inside can be configured in either RAID 0 or RAID 1. Â*It ships with the LaCie Setup Assistant and Intego Backup Assistant for Mac. Â*It has a front USB 2.0 expansion port to connect another external drive for backups. Â*The blue LED stripe gives out ambient light and changes to red when potential problems are detected. Â*For $269.99, you can order one with unlimited online backup for one full year. Â*VisitÂ*www.lacie.comÂ*to order.

VerbatimÂ*has announced its new family of Store 'n' Go Micro USB drives for Macs and Windows. Â*Virtually weightless at .05 ounces, the brightly colored drives will be available later this month with 2GB (orange, $19.99), 4GB (green, $29.99), and 8GB (purple, $49.99) options. Â*Verbatim says it can achieve this small size through what it calls system-in-package (SIP) technology, which encapsulates all the electronic components into a single miniaturized and sealed unit.

Also from Verbatim are new 500GB and 1TB Quad Interface Desktop Hard Drives. Â*Compatible with Mac and PC, Verbatim promises support for all four interfaces (USB 2.0, FireWire 400, FireWire 800, eSATA II) currently leading the market. Â*The HDDs weight 3.3 lbs and are easy to transport from one desk to another, where they take up minimal space compared to a desktop system. Â*Housed in sleek and durable black aluminum cases, the drives are rated at 7200rpm spindle speed and 32MB of cache memory. Â*The cooling fan is silent. Â*Backed by a three-year limited warranty and available immediately, you can buy the 500GB version for $179.99 or the 1TB drive for $249.99. Â*You'll get an AC power cord, USB 2.0 A-B cable, FireWire 1394a, 1394b bilingual and 1394b Beta cables, an eSATA cable, Nero backup software and a user guide with your purchase.

DriveSavers, regarded as the best option to recover data from damaged drives, launched its first Data Recovery Portal for Apple Authorized Service Providers (AASP) and Self-Servicing Accounts (SSA). Â*The product streamlines many parts of the task by doing automatically what used to be done manually. Â*The portal enables AASPs and SSAs to initiate the data recovery process, track existing data recovery projects, find answers to FAQs, and reorder DriveSavers supplies. Â*For access, DriveSavers requests youÂ*register or log in at their website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Is Western Digital lying low? I want to see a capacity upgrade of the Mybook Studio line.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    That HP MediaSmart is so friggin' ugly, yet they proudly display it on a transparent stand.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Apple should have been first with a combined Windows/Mac home server. They were the ones who first came up with the concept of home computer as digitial hub.

If Apple sold a home server, they could finally get rid of their desktop line altogther and push a model of customers with laptops that sync/backup/fileshare all from the central hub. I don't know that Apple necessarily wants to get rid of their desktop line, but they neglect it enough to make you wonder.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Seems to me you should apply for Steve Jobs' position, ascii. Clearly, you know more than their product development team, and as an AAPL shareholder in good standing I would love to see you run the company. Of course, there are a couple of hundred thousand other experts on sites such as these who would give you a run for your money, but I'd bet you'd prevail.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Jeez, why are the tech media wetting themselves over the HP MediaSmart? It doesn't do anything that dozens of other Linux-based NAS units haven't done for years and years already.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Some of the quoted prices seem way off. $599 for 120 GB G-drive mini? $1299 for 250 GB? I don't think so.

SATA-USB docks have been around for quite a while.

transintl.com often has better pricing than OWC.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    What's with the rabbit ears?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    imatimat Posts: 208member
    MediaSmart is... well, how shall I put it..... UGLY!

Apple is either sleeping or skipped MacWorld in order to announce Mac (iMac, MacMini, etc) related news in a separate event.

I think the latter is what is going to happen. After all they made it clear that MacWorld is no longer going to be their main event.

I only hope Apple will release a product (better if it is the MacMini) with a "server side" to it. My media files are increasing (pictures, video, TVshows, you name it...) and I have nowhere "smart" to store them.

Of course I can partially put them on MobileMe, but then again not all and i takes ages. I can put them on an external HD but then again my computer has to be turned on all the time.

I would love to be able to (hassle free as I am no technical expert in these matters) have all my content on the go from my MBP...

I might consider a MacMini with "back to my mac" or something if it wasn't such an "old" machine.

After all I am one of the 4 people in the world who bought the AppleTV (great device, don't regret it a bit).
  • Reply 9 of 24
    rpsxrpsx Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If Apple sold a home server, they could finally get rid of their desktop line altogther...

sorry, but why would apple want to get rid of their desktop line??? i actually find their lineup quite incomplete (and yes, neglected!) as it is - mac mini to mac pro, something mid range would be nice. some of us actually make media with our macs, not just watch it. desktop power is well needed for this. but, i certainly would like to move all my media files off somewhere so my mac AND ps3 can access it. hopefully the appleTV or time capsule evolves into that.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMat View Post

MediaSmart is... well, how shall I put it..... UGLY!

Apple is either sleeping or skipped MacWorld in order to announce Mac (iMac, MacMini, etc) related news in a separate event.

I think the latter is what is going to happen. After all they made it clear that MacWorld is no longer going to be their main event.

I only hope Apple will release a product (better if it is the MacMini) with a "server side" to it. My media files are increasing (pictures, video, TVshows, you name it...) and I have nowhere "smart" to store them.

Of course I can partially put them on MobileMe, but then again not all and i takes ages. I can put them on an external HD but then again my computer has to be turned on all the time.

I would love to be able to (hassle free as I am no technical expert in these matters) have all my content on the go from my MBP...

I might consider a MacMini with "back to my mac" or something if it wasn't such an "old" machine.

After all I am one of the 4 people in the world who bought the AppleTV (great device, don't regret it a bit).

Have you considered Time Capsule?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    The storage options from HP is NOT an option.

Here's why. Windows.

NEXT!
  • Reply 12 of 24
    hexorhexor Posts: 57member
    That Verbatim drive packaging better not be that same stuff that requires me to get my Sawzall out.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Apple should have been first with a combined Windows/Mac home server. They were the ones who first came up with the concept of home computer as digitial hub.

If Apple sold a home server, they could finally get rid of their desktop line altogther and push a model of customers with laptops that sync/backup/fileshare all from the central hub.

Color me skeptical about that. Notebooks can't replace the Mac Pro in performance, and the iMac is a less expensive machine than a notebook if you don't need mobility, and it offers bigger screens and bigger / faster hard drives. The mini has a lot of uses other than a home server.

I see nothing in that article that sways me away from wanting a Drobo, which I hope to get some time this year.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    WTH? No mention of drobo? The drobo unit ( I just got one yesterday and installed it last night) is very Maclike. Four bay hot swappable with some very interesting techniques for protecting your data. www.drobo.com

I neither work for nor have anything to do with this company. I merely bought their product.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bspears View Post

WTH? No mention of drobo? The drobo unit ( I just got one yesterday and installed it last night) is very Maclike. Four bay hot swappable with some very interesting techniques for protecting your data. www.drobo.com

I neither work for nor have anything to do with this company. I merely bought their product.

I know Drobo just revved their product but it would have been nice to see something hit during CES for the company.

They need to keep expanding their reach and lower the price of hardware while increasing performance. I think they are

building nice traction but they have to watch out for the nextgen hardware boxes coming out that could potentially use

ZFS to deliver the same pooled storage benefits but would come with the added advantage of snapshots and other features. Drobo should continue to deliver boxes and grab share.

the price of hardware while increasing
  • Reply 16 of 24
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I know Drobo just revved their product but it would have been nice to see something hit during CES for the company.

They need to keep expanding their reach and lower the price of hardware while increasing performance. I think they are

building nice traction but they have to watch out for the nextgen hardware boxes coming out that could potentially use

ZFS to deliver the same pooled storage benefits but would come with the added advantage of snapshots and other features. Drobo should continue to deliver boxes and grab share.

the price of hardware while increasing

I don't know if any company is close to offering ZFS in a box like that yet, but they might be able to do that with the existing hardware. There is an SDK for it to add-on services, I just don't know how deep the SDK goes.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Glad to see companies paying a little more attention to data backup and media serving for Mac. That HP thing is ugly, but where's the Apple alternative with that level of expandability, functionality, etc.? Would love to see a small footprint, affordable Mac server targeted toward home-networks and small businesses (like the thousands of small design firms that are almost all Mac). Something like a Mac Mini with server OS pre-installed and a larger (2tb +) raid setup. Would love to have user accounts on a local server so that my wife and I could more easily share computers and have all our stuff handy. MobileMe is stupid.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

If Apple sold a home server, they could finally get rid of their desktop line altogther and push a model of customers with laptops that sync/backup/fileshare all from the central hub. I don't know that Apple necessarily wants to get rid of their desktop line, but they neglect it enough to make you wonder.

Except I need the processing Power of 8 Cores of Xeon Goodness
  • Reply 19 of 24
    I just use an old G4 Cube with Mac OS X Server installed and massive hard disks....granted, if you got old stuff like that lying around (including the Server Software) why not use it.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

I just use an old G4 Cube with Mac OS X Server installed and massive hard disks....granted, if you got old stuff like that lying around (including the Server Software) why not use it.

That's a good idea. I guess I just wish the server software wasn't $500. Also, I think I realized through my post that I'm less interested in media serving as much as accessing user accounts remotely...which I assume is something you can do with OSX server...kind of like Windows server.