10.5.3 Update Half Installed....Now won't boot HELP!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've been successfully running Leopard on 2 different drives on the following computer

G-4 (digital audio) 733 {model before Quicksilver}

upgraded to 1.47 GHZ....processor. 1 gig of memory

Computer has been handling Leopard fine up to now.

I was updating one of the drives to 10.5.3 when the screen activity locked up.

After quite a long time and ceasing of drive crunching data....I did a hard restart.

Since this time, the drive wont start up,. just the spooling rotor underneath the apple

on the gray screen, which doesn't stop.

There is no time-machine backup on this drive. I've used the Leopard install disc

to run the disc utility and repair permissions but this is a case of an update, half installed.

Of course, with Leopard, booting with the install disc does not show the drive, disc image on

the desktop...so access for re-running the update isn't there.

How do I fix this drive and recover what's there, re-running the update or ????

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    If you have a bootable external drive, you can run the update (Combo) from there. Just point it to the internal drive. If you dont, just reinstall Leopard as an archive & install. You'll keep your files and apps. You may have to reinstall some applications or just recover your old Application support folder from /Library.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

If you have a bootable external drive, you can run the update (Combo) from there. Just point it to the internal drive. If you dont, just reinstall Leopard as an archive & install. You'll keep your files and apps. You may have to reinstall some applications or just recover your old Application support folder from /Library.

Great ideas!! Thanks much