Eee PC D200 - what I wish the next mini was like

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

D200 (translated from german).

I guess I'd like the next mini to have the rumored specs (C2D, nVidia GPU, etc) but with two 3.5" HDD slots and a little touch screen I could use if I wanted it sit in the closet (or even next to the TV) without monitor or keyboard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    They have it over at Gizmodo as well:

http://i.gizmodo.com/5127161/asus-d2...top-router-box

Definitely an interesting box. I wouldn't mind the new Mini being similar to this, although it seems more like an apple TV type box.

That being said, I'd just like to see a new mac mini >period<
  • Reply 2 of 20
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    It's only an Atom though!

Pretty useless for running iMovie/iPhoto etc, I'd suggest.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I think this is better and clearly shows a company who listens to consumers:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40863/145/

There's a PC inside that keyboard. Apple could make it with a multi-touch pad for gesture input.

Make the lid replaceable for customization and repair and easy access to the computer.

Simply use the cable that is on the 24" Cinema display to drive it or use separate cables.

Of course now someone else has done it first so they probably won't bother.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

It's only an Atom though!

Pretty useless for running iMovie/iPhoto etc, I'd suggest.

Yes, hence the comment I'd like it with a GPU and C2D.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40863/145/

There's a PC inside that keyboard. Apple could make it with a multi-touch pad for gesture input.

Make the lid replaceable for customization and repair and easy access to the computer.

Simply use the cable that is on the 24" Cinema display to drive it or use separate cables.

To me that looks exactly the opposite - a company who hasn't listened to consumers. So you're really suggesting that a keyboard with small touchscreen and computer built in are going to fly off the shelves when they go on sale?! Haha, come back and show me the evidence when that has happened.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Quote:

Great, Marvin.

I was about to start a thread how this keyboard should be the next iMac

when Nehalem for portables ship in Fall 2009.

Instead of a computer inside the display, it would be a computer inside the keyboard......bring

your own Apple monitor with MagSafe.

The touchscreen would change according to needs (e.g. numeric keypad).

It's essentially a laptop, shaped differently, and without the LCD display.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

To me that looks exactly the opposite - a company who hasn't listened to consumers. So you're really suggesting that a keyboard with small touchscreen and computer built in are going to fly off the shelves when they go on sale?! Haha, come back and show me the evidence when that has happened.

I don't think it's ever been done before. PC in the keyboard, yes (recently I mean), but not all-in-one with the screen, too. We'll see how it does.

All I can say is, that thing looks like it would be great for using in bed. If the screen resolution is enough to display a full web page, I might very well buy one for that purpose.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I don't think it's ever been done before. PC in the keyboard, yes (recently I mean), but not all-in-one with the screen, too. We'll see how it does.

All I can say is, that thing looks like it would be great for using in bed. If the screen resolution is enough to display a full web page, I might very well buy one for that purpose.

Put it this way, the vast vast majority of people are going to want a laptop or desktop PC, as their usability and ergonomics are far far better. Laptops and netbooks are already cheap enough for their to be little room for yet another new type of device.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    As for the D200, that's sort of the ultimate all-in-one, isn't it? With video and audio out, you can use it as a (very slow) PC, with a built-in router for gigabit and 802.11n, and a built-in two drive NAS.

It's everything the college kid with a terabyte of pirated music and movies needs.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Put it this way, the vast vast majority of people are going to want a laptop or desktop PC, as their usability and ergonomics are far far better. Laptops and netbooks are already cheap enough for their to be little room for yet another new type of device.

I think that what we normally call "computers" have reached a saturation point and people are starting to buy other things. Or they would be, if the economy wasn't trashed.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

They listen because consumers want their choice of display far more than their choice of keyboard. You should be able to use a machine with a 60" HDTV without having to have another smaller display.

In this case, I don't see the machines replacing people's main computers because they have Atom chips too. It depends on the price though. This could be the headless version of the netbook. If the small touch display costs less than the large netbook one, we're below the £200 mark.

Even if people need to use a wireless keyboard, it's small enough to fit in a lot of compact storage areas unlike an all-in-one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BJNY

It's essentially a laptop, shaped differently, and without the LCD display.

Yeah, that's all that's needed given the performance of the laptop chips now. As good as Core i7 sounds, at this level, the laptop quad chips are enough.

Given that the power available to a desktop is higher, the extra power draw is fine.

Apple don't even have to include the little display really. To keep costs down, they could make a universal ipod/iphone dock that would access the computer's own internal drive.

The images of the laptop internals show that it should be possible to take the laptop parts, put an extended keyboard on top and it all fits without much modification:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/10/...book.teardown/

The optical drive would probably have to go though but that's not a huge problem as you just plug in a USB-powered one when you need it.

They could even make a version based on both the MBP and MB at two different price points.

MB - display - battery - optical drive = £929 - £300 = £599 Nvidia 9400M dual 2.0GHz

MBP - display - battery - optical drive = £1369 - £350 = £999 Nvidia 9600M GT dual 2.4GHz

High end = Quad 2GHz + 9600M GT = £1299

They won't obviously use the same motherboards, they will have to be redesigned still but common parts cuts costs.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BJNY View Post

The touchscreen would change according to needs (e.g. numeric keypad).

Or, access iTunes library.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

That's the worst thing I've ever seen. Like something the Sharper Image would have in their catalogs.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

That's the worst thing I've ever seen. Like something the Sharper Image would have in their catalogs.

The guy or the keyboard? I don't think the keyboard is that bad, it's like a mixture of what Apple have in their catalog:

In the interests of saving space, the two options are in the display or in the keyboard. If it has to be one or the other, I'd rather the computer was in the keyboard and it allows me to use whatever display I can afford.

Standalone is still ok for the Mini but the square footprint makes upgrading difficult. The laptops are easy to access because the components are laid out flat. The keyboard is also long and flat. As this product demonstrates, the form factor is extremely small. It actually looks like a normal keyboard.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    A computer in a keyboard makes sense when wireless HDMI and wireless USB are smaller than a what looks to be a large router and can run on a lightweight battery.

Of course, having all those wireless devices pumping out on your lap can't be too good for the boys.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    LOVE this concept.....buy whichever [Cinema] Display suits you.....

as long as it's adequately [CPU] powered.

http://gizmodo.com/5279630/asus-eee-...great-on-video
  • Reply 17 of 20
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

It would be an interesting idea once they come out with video over Wi-Fi, think the Apple wireless keyboard but slightly thicker with the computer inside, transmitting wirelessly to a LCD TV.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

If this contraption could have a strong blue tooth or wifi connection to any monitor/hdtv. And has a fire wire port and a dvd playback slot . Then why not. You could walk up to any TV screen around and use it. Airports, bars, other people home, tv store displays and on and on. We can name it ikeyboard or overlord.

• Reply 19 of 20
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

It would be an interesting idea once they come out with video over Wi-Fi, think the Apple wireless keyboard but slightly thicker with the computer inside, transmitting wirelessly to a LCD TV.

Great find.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    What I like about that EEE PC KB, is that the little touch screen could be programed to do other things like act as a num pad, another game controller, uses in audio/video apps etc, and it would make a great compliment to a HTPC.

And for some reason, that's the first time I've seen the Eee PC D200, but I like that a lot too, as one of these days, I'm going to be getting a NAS, and that one has a lot of cool features.