New iTunes user agreement

gr8gr8
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Has anybody accepted the new user agreement from iTunes which states that you can "only purchase or rent from the US iTunes Store from within the US (geographically) and not from any other location. It also stipulates that apple may use technologies to verify such compliance... Anybody outside the US with a US Credit Card tried this? Reactions and outcomes would be appreciated...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    hmm... I live outside of the US and use a US iTunes account... I'll let you know if I see any problems...

Edit... just downloaded a song and a TV episode. No problems so far.

One thing is for certain, Apple won't erase anything you've already purchased. There's no way they could know whether you were in the US when they were purchased.

The worst Apple could do is block you from future purchases, or lock out further topping up of your iTunes account 9which just means you'll have to start a new one with a new gift certificate), I guess...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

hmm... I live outside of the US and use a US iTunes account... I'll let you know if I see any problems...

Edit... just downloaded a song and a TV episode. No problems so far.

It's probably more of a fear thing than anything else. I wish I had a US credit card, cause I have a PS3 US account setup. I would love to buy Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    I was blocked from a purchase. I tried to buy the movie A Gentleman's Duel - an animated short by Blur Studios. You can't buy it in the UK and itunes redirects you to the US store. It then tells you that you can't buy it anyway, which is kinda dumb.

I guess it's the same principles of region coding on DVDs so that you can't buy the DVD from abroad when the movie has only just reached the cinema in another country. I'm not sure why it affects the movie short I wanted.

It's moves like that force you to go after torrents. Poor Blur just lost out on £1.19 or something of my money as a result and poor me, I save that amount and get a higher quality version without DRM.

So here's a definite case that DRM restrictions and region restrictions are losing these companies money. Not a single person in the entire UK can get that movie. Now assuming they removed all restrictions, how many people in the UK would buy it? I'm guessing more than none.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    gr8gr8 Posts: 2member
    Took the leap and agreed to the New User Agreement - tried renting a movie and seems to be downloading... also downloaded a podcast with a good outcome. Hopefully it will stay this way.

This might be coincidental but chronologically the New UA came out the day after Apple announced they were changing their music iTunes pricing... maybe pressure from the record labels & movie studios forced them to redo their UA to align with Amazon, Netflix etc...

Anybody with problems pls post it up...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I don't think that part is new. Yes, I did click agree.