audio problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
why does my input for headphones light up red? and volume control doesn't move it shows a no symbol (ghostbusters)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manzanaboy View Post

why does my input for headphones light up red? and volume control doesn't move it shows a no symbol (ghostbusters)?

The headphone jack shares a port with digital audio out, which is what the red light is. The fact that it's staying on means that something has gotten a little bent in there, and it thinks you have a toslink connection plugged in. Which is also why you're not seeing any volume control-- if you check the Sound system preference pane, it'll show "Digital" as your output device, and digital doesn't get volume controlled from playback device.

First thing to try is to plug in some headphones and gently wiggle them about, while unplugging and plugging in a few times.

If that doesn't work, try (gently) probing around with a matchstick. The trick is to not bend anything much, since that will just do more damage-- you're just trying to coax whatever is telling the jack that a digital plug is in there to give it up.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I should also say that if your machine is fairly new you should take it in to an Apple Store or call Apple, since a faulty headphone jack is a warranty issue (assuming you haven't been jamming anything unusual in there).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Like a matchstick, which is what I told you to do, so for God's sake don't listen to me.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Seriously, a matchstick might be a little big, see if you can find something like a plastic bobby pin. Nothing metal. Go easy. And if it doesn't work, call Apple and never speak of it again.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I'm pretty sure I shouldn't respond to posts in the Genius Bar. All my Macs are smoking ruins.