There will be no 25th anniversary event

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Now that Macworld has ended and everyone's reporting about the Mac Mini was wrong, the common wisdom now is that Apple is simply waiting a couple weeks for the 25th anniversary of the Mac OS at the end of this month. Well, I'm calling it right now -- it's not going to happen.

Of course, everyone remembers the great celebration that occurred during the 20th anniversary. PowerMac inventories were low and Macrumors.com reported that "something big" was going to happen two days later. When the day came, they reported another rumor. A few days later there was a security update to OS X. Apple did nothing, absolutely nothing at all to acknowledge the anniversary. That's because Steve Jobs hates nostalgia. Looking back in the computer industry means failure, according to him, and perhaps this is the key to his long term success. Given that ignoring the 20th anniversary was so successful, they'll have a go at ignoring the 25th.

Really, this is the Mac we're talking about here, and you know how much Apple cares about that. The recent Philnote was "all about the Mac." No it wasn't. It was mostly about iLife, which runs on a Mac. If that's all about the Mac to them, their priorities for the Mac are a bit narrow.

I'm sorry to point out the painfully obvious once more, but, if Apple cared one iota about the Mini, they wouldn't have let it go untouched this long. It may be clear to everyone that there's a big hole in Apple's product line between the low end Mini and Mac Pro, but to Jobs it fits in well with his logic. It must, because there hasn't been anything holding them back from selling headless Macs. It's just something they don't want to do.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

Now that Macworld has ended and everyone's reporting about the Mac Mini was wrong, the common wisdom now is that Apple is simply waiting a couple weeks for the 25th anniversary of the Mac OS at the end of this month. Well, I'm calling it right now -- it's not going to happen.

Of course, everyone remembers the great celebration that occurred during the 20th anniversary. PowerMac inventories were low and Macrumors.com reported that "something big" was going to happen two days later. When the day came, they reported another rumor. A few days later there was a security update to OS X. Apple did nothing, absolutely nothing at all to acknowledge the anniversary. That's because Steve Jobs hates nostalgia. Looking back in the computer industry means failure, according to him, and perhaps this is the key to his long term success. Given that ignoring the 20th anniversary was so successful, they'll have a go at ignoring the 25th.

Really, this is the Mac we're talking about here, and you know how much Apple cares about that. The recent Philnote was "all about the Mac." No it wasn't. It was mostly about iLife, which runs on a Mac. If that's all about the Mac to them, their priorities for the Mac are a bit narrow.

I'm sorry to point out the painfully obvious once more, but, if Apple cared one iota about the Mini, they wouldn't have let it go untouched this long. It may be clear to everyone that there's a big hole in Apple's product line between the low end Mini and Mac Pro, but to Jobs it fits in well with his logic. It must, because there hasn't been anything holding them back from selling headless Macs. It's just something they don't want to do.

Well after Apple turned 21 and go the right to drink alcohol publically in the US there a few landmarks that matter
  • Reply 2 of 17
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    You are very likely right, Phong.

Just read the first paragraph of this recent Wired article to understand that Jobs does not really care about anniversaries.

But from a marketing perspective doing something special at a 25th anniversary will give you a lot of free press. And free publicity is always good!

Would be a shame if Apple wasted all that free press.

And wiser people have said that 'if you know your past you will know your future' (or along those lines) so there is nothing inherently wrong with establishing a time line pointing from the past into the future.

It would be cool if Apple were to release a forward looking product with new technology at its 25th anniversary.

But I'm not holding my breath.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

You are very likely right, Phong.

Just read the first paragraph of this recent Wired article to understand that Jobs does not really care about anniversaries.

But from a marketing perspective doing something special at a 25th anniversary will give you a lot of free press. And free publicity is always good!

Would be a shame if Apple wasted all that free press.

And wiser people have said that 'if you know your past you will know your future' (or along those lines) so there is nothing inherently wrong with establishing a time line pointing from the past into the future.

It would be cool if Apple were to release a forward looking product with new technology at its 25th anniversary.

But I'm not holding my breath.

No he doesn't like anniversaries. But he is going to have one anyway so he can totally screw IDG.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:

Of course, everyone remembers the great celebration that occurred during the 20th anniversary. PowerMac inventories were low and Macrumors.com reported that "something big" was going to happen two days later. When the day came, they reported another rumor.

They did do something for their 20th anniversary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twentie...sary_Macintosh

Interesting that it was the anniversary of Apple, not the Mac though. It was released in 1997. Plus, Steve Jobs wasn't there at the time.

He returned the same year and that machine was discontinued the following year and no such reminiscence since.

Nonetheless, whatever the reason it's done, Apple needs to update their desktop lineup ASAP. Intel launches the lower power Core 2 Quads on January 18th, it's just coincidental that it lands within a week of the anniversary.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Steve Jobs wasn't there at the time.

Exactly. That computer was one of the first to be axed.

I don't know about the 18th. It doesn't seem like Apple has announced new Macs around the dates that new chips were out. Have they?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:

I don't know about the 18th. It doesn't seem like Apple has announced new Macs around the dates that new chips were out. Have they?

Not usually but in some cases like the iMacs and Mac Pros, they released machines before Intel announced the chips as Apple got an exclusive launch.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Not usually but in some cases like the iMacs and Mac Pros, they released machines before Intel announced the chips as Apple got an exclusive launch.

+

MacBook Air custom small/LV cpus+ chipsets

nvidia 9400M chipset in MacBooks the day before nvidia officially announced them.

Many things can happen.

The upcoming 65W quads could have been requested by Apple and Intel is just making them part of their regular catalog...

Who knows?

The fact is that Apple has access to a lot of different cpus/chipsets as well as the possibility to have customized chips. They can do whatever they want.

The question is: what are they interested in doing?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

The upcoming 65W quads could have been requested by Apple and Intel is just making them part of their regular catalog...

That doesn't seem like Apple's style. If they request something, they wouldn't want anyone else to have or know about it before release.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

The fact is that Apple has access to a lot of different cpus/chipsets as well as the possibility to have customized chips. They can do whatever they want.

The question is: what are they interested in doing?

That's right.

Whatever they're interested in doing, it's not making headless Macs. The next few months are probably going to be rather boring. iLife will launch and then an iMac refresh. Maybe an iPhone nano or similar iPhone with marginally better features in the Spring. Pro update. Maybe an Xserve update at WWDC with Snow Leopard demo. Delayed Snow Leopard launch in Q3. Macbook and Air updates somewhere in there.

For some reason my first instinct is that it would take balls for Apple to go a full 2 years selling the Mini without an update or price change, but I would have said the same about 18 months. If it happens, then I would be very happy to see Jobs step down as CEO.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    That's it Phong.....I'm going to throw Steve Jobs a massive Cream Pie !!

Do you know where he normally hang out ???

Damm Steve...Damm......#$$##@#@@!@!!!!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I was thinking of burning the Apple Stores....

A big birthday bash for Apple
  • Reply 11 of 17
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    They should release an entire lineup of silver computers....

[/sarcasm]
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Delete me...somehow it double posted...
  • Reply 13 of 17
    God,

Steve is sick.

I don't think i will throw him Tart

Don't expect anything until June

===========================

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs today announced that he will take a leave of absence as a result of health concerns.

THIS STORY

Apple CEO Steve Jobs Takes Medical Leave of Absence

Apple Media Advisory: Letter From Steve Jobs

"During the past week I have learned that my health-related issues are more complex than I originally thought," Jobs wrote in an email sent to all Apple employees.

He said he intends to return to the company at the end of June.

Speculation over Jobs' health has swayed the company's share prices over the last year as his increasingly gaunt appearance left some investors worried. The iconic tech leader, who is often viewed as the main driving force for his company's recent successes, is a survivor of pancreatic cancer.

Jobs did not deliver a keynote at the recent Mac-centric trade show this year, citing a hormone imbalance. The company's share price rose 4 percent on the news, a result of investor relief that Jobs was not suffering a remission of cancer.

Over much of the last year, Apple share prices have fluctuated on reports and rumors of the chief executive's well-being, a spectacle that at times has become a health watch with huge financial ramifications.

Apple products, particularly the iPod and iPhone, have gained a rare kind of loyalty from customers, and much of the credit is given to Jobs's demanding leadership. He is reputedly relentless in his demands that Apple engineers make products that simplify technology, an approach that often gives the company's products a minimalist chic.

Concern about Jobs's health arose Dec. 16, when the company announced that he would not attend Macworld, a conference that he has addressed in his trademark black turtleneck for several years. Instead, the company sent marketing chief Philip Schiller to make a presentation.

Apple's stock fell as much as 10 percent after the company made that announcement.

In 2004, Jobs received a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer and had surgery, which apparently was successful. Last June, however, Jobs appeared gaunt and the uncertainty over his health created new worries for investors. Stock prices suffered as a result.

Jobs was forced to address the rumors last week. In recent months, Jobs and the Apple board had declined to provide more information about the chief executive's health.

"Unfortunately, my decision to have Phil deliver the Macworld keynote set off another flurry of rumors about my health, with some even publishing stories of me on my deathbed," he wrote on Jan. 5. "I've decided to share something very personal with the Apple community so that we can all relax and enjoy the show tomorrow.

"As many of you know, I have been losing weight throughout 2008," his note said. "The reason has been a mystery to me and my doctors."

Jobs said that the cause of his troubles was a "hormone imbalance."

But many health professionals said then that hormone imbalance is not a specific medical diagnosis

While Jobs is away from the company he founded, Apple will be steered by chief operating officer Tim Cook.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haryanto2007 View Post

God,

Steve is sick.

It would be very dumb of Apple to hold off any announcements until Steve Jobs is better. Why let your product line fall behind technology wise just so the CEO can announce it? Doesn't make any sense to let your customers wait. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I could care less who comes up on stage and announces something. I care about the product being delivered, not who delivers it. 15-20 yrs (maybe less) from now Steve Jobs isn't going to be here to announce a product and people are going to have to learn to get used to it. They should be more focused on whats being delivered, not who is delivering it.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They did do something for their 20th anniversary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twentie...sary_Macintosh

And they did nothing for Apple's 30th anniversary.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haryanto2007 View Post

God,

Steve is sick.

If they are worried about their financials, they should step up their announcements. The reason why rumors of Steve's health have been an issue is that people think that the company will fall down without him at the helm. The best way to prove that this won't be the case is to keep the products coming. Sure, announcements won't sound the same, but I think most of us could care less who's announcing the products, just as long as there's new offerings at the Apple Store
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

And they did nothing for Apple's 30th anniversary.

They made a nice banner for the web site.