Anyone getting the new 17" macbook pro?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I really want one something fierce, but don't want any early adopter issues. Are they still using the same graphics cards that they had trouble with in the 15"? Besides the battery, how much new stuff is in this thing?

Anyone else thinking of picking one up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Mine is ordered. Been waiting for a new 17" and it is finally getting here.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    It is very nice. However, I think I'm going to wait for the Blu-Ray disc option. Hope it'll be here soon. The 8GB RAM is exciting though.\
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I am definitely saving up for one... hopefully I will have it by March at the latest!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

It is very nice. However, I think I'm going to wait for the Blu-Ray disc option. Hope it'll be here soon. The 8GB RAM is exciting though.\

I agree, although I kind of wonder about the 2.93 GHz processor and why it there is not a 3 GHz option.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Winter View Post

I agree, although I kind of wonder about the 2.93 GHz processor and why it there is not a 3 GHz option.

That is the fastest processor ever offered in a mac portable, can you really tell the difference between 2.93 and 3.00?

Intel makes a 3.06 mHz custom apple-only Penryn, but I think it is in the iMac.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

That is the fastest processor ever offered in a mac portable, can you really tell the difference between 2.93 and 3.00?

Intel makes a 3.06 mHz custom apple-only Penryn, but I think it is in the iMac.

There is no large difference I agree., though I'm just curious why 2.93 GHz was decided upon. Still I will probably end up buying it once Snow Leopard arrives. I didn't mean to sound as though I was complaining.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    I'm ready for a new laptop and the battery life has me salivating but I don't need or want a monster book. I'd take a 15" (or maybe even a 13") with the bigger battery in a heart beat. I'm guessing it will be a year before the BMP 15" gets an update.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I really want one something fierce, but don't want any early adopter issues. Are they still using the same graphics cards that they had trouble with in the 15"? Besides the battery, how much new stuff is in this thing?

Anyone else thinking of picking one up?

I've definitely made up my mind on getting a new unibody 17". I've been waiting for 6 months for MacWorld. I couldn't decide on a "new/upcoming" iMac or a 15" MacBook Pro. Then I saw the 17", and I knew this is what I wanted: a transportable desktop replacement that was super quiet.

My main criteria was the best display possible for my new computer. I wanted to get the new 24" LED but there was no adaptors that would work with my current Mini (I love my Mini). I also have a non-unibody 2008 MacBook Pro 15" with a matte display, and that thing is amazing too. I use this more as an on-the-go notebook, while the 17" will be more like a desktop replacement.

I was worried about the high resolution making things too small for my eyes, but the high dpi, sharpness, brightness, and overall quality of the display of the glossy unibody 15" and 17" non-unibody Mac that I tested at the store convinced me that it's not just about "specs." It's about what my eyes sees and perceives.

Similarly I was worried about the glossy screen, but I found, like the iPhone/iPod Touch, the glass makes things have so much more contrast and less pixelated and less fuzzy to my eyes. This is especially the case for my workflow revolving around reading scanned PDF books and textbooks. Clarity and contrast are important for my workflow. Again the high dpi, glass, brightness, and general quality of the display really sold me on the new 17".

It's crazy the display real estate is the same on the 17" as it is on the 24" LED. I really like the 24" LED display, although I wished they kept the 23" size with a higher dpi and smaller pixel size. I also have budgeted money in case I also want to get the 24" LED or, more likely for me, the 30" LED if it ever comes out this decade.

I'm going for the 2.93 and 128 GB SSD. I'm already spending $3K plus on this thing, so I'd rather have a little extra "oomph." My workflow involves single core processor type work, so this will be handy. I really value quiet computers that wake up quickly, so I don't mind going with the 128 GB SSD. By the time the 128GB fills up, hopefully Intel will have higher capacity SSD drives available. For now the Intel SSD capacity is just too low for me, but I lust after its high performance. I don't mind paying the money, it's just I need capacity too at this time.

Don't forget too, the nice thing about SSD, is that they don't slow down as the drive fills up, unlike traditional hard drives.

My only issue, is I don't want a Revision A. It sucks because I really need the new display NOW. I've already been waiting for 6 months now for a nicer display. So I'm just going to wait for a few weeks after people start receiving their 17". I may just bite the bullet and order and accept any possible early-adopter flaws/issues because I need a new computer and display desperately right now.

Hope this helps others out there a bit, as I've been waiting and researching for months now. Can't wait to get the feedback from others, once this thing starts shipping.

It's a lot of me money, but after owning so many Apple products already, I feel it's justified, both in my productivity and leisurely computing enjoyment. I'm typing this now on my "beater" 12" iBook, and I'm still amazed it still works so well. But all the Apple products I own have been late production units, not Revision A or B ones.

The 2-3+ week wait is killing me.

Cheers.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    It looks like an incredible machine! Now what do I have to do to get someone to buy one for me!