Portable video game emulator...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So. When are the video game companies going to admit that their games are abandonware? They no longer manufacture the cartridges or consoles, and the ROMs are freely available online. I know, I know, you're **supposed** to own the original game, but let's be serious now.

Someone needs to make a portable device that plays SNES, NES, and Sega games. If Apple won't let it on the iPhone or iPod touch, someone has to do it. Anyone know of anything like this? I can't imagine it'd be hard to do, considering geniuses like Ben Heck have been making portable devices like these for years, even ones that utilize the original media..(!)

Ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    This doesn't really relate to Apple hardware... but...

It has been tried before and there just aren't enough customers. Take Game Park for example.

People who play emulated games don't generally pay for them.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13 View Post

So. When are the video game companies going to admit that their games are abandonware? They no longer manufacture the cartridges or consoles, and the ROMs are freely available online. I know, I know, you're **supposed** to own the original game, but let's be serious now.

Someone needs to make a portable device that plays SNES, NES, and Sega games. If Apple won't let it on the iPhone or iPod touch, someone has to do it. Anyone know of anything like this? I can't imagine it'd be hard to do, considering geniuses like Ben Heck have been making portable devices like these for years, even ones that utilize the original media..(!)

Ideas?

Well umm.. with the Nintendo DS you can emulate some things, but it's not very good at it. Most SNES games don't work, but NES games work almost perfectly. I hear Genesis games work well, but I haven't tried it yet myself. The PSP is supposedly good at emulation, but you have to have those Memory Stick Duos which are way overpriced compared to microSD.