10.2.1 won't boot into OS9

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Whats up with that???

have i done something wrong or has Steve totally shut out the old os??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Yeah, the 10.2.1 update flashes your system ROM so that it will never again boot into OS 9.

Live with it.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    It also pisses in your houseplants and knocks up your daughter. !!!CONFIRMED!!!

[ 09-19-2002: Message edited by: Ringo ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 13
    ok, i got it into 9, after 10.2.1 was chucking a wobbly i restarted from the apple menu and it restarted into 9

now will it get back into 10??? ha ha ha he hehehe

will try and get back to you all
  • Reply 4 of 13
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Hey, it works fine for me...better than fine, in fact. Pretty damn good.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Yeah, the 10.2.1 update flashes your system ROM so that it will never again boot into OS 9.

Live with it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry, if this was true it would have to be somewhere at least in the "more details" webpage in teh knowledge base, and it aint. I haven't tried to reboot mine yet (and it wouldn't bother me anyway because I never reboot into 9 anymore) but I fully expect my machine to be able to when I want to.

--PB
  • Reply 6 of 13
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    you know he was joking, right ?

(and I know you were joking too)
  • Reply 7 of 13
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>Whether this problem is real or not, reading people's comments on 10.2.1 doesn't give me much confidence. It sounds like it was a rush job that has broken many a machine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think its a rush job. But you have to understand, OS's are huge projects. You can't expect them to be perfect when they are this large. Moreover, I've NEVER heard of an OS update - UNIX, OS X, Mac OS, Windows, Palm, Pocket PC, or Java (as a platform) that didn't break somebody's system somewhere.

Its an unfortunate fact of any major consumer or server platform.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I haven't had a single problem with 10.2 or 10.2.1. Everything that worked before in 10.1 still works now. I can also boot into OS9 with no troubles at all. All the complaints about CD-Rs not burning or Audio CDs not playing or not being able to boot from other disks... I have had none of those problems.

This problem must be specific to your Macs. Though, I can't say what exactly is the root of the problem. I'd suggest the usual "standard" checks. Use disk utility to verify the permissions. Use single-user mode to "fsck -y" your drive. If you have other disk checking software such as Alsoft's Disk Warrior, try using that also. Important note: Norton Utilities has been reported to damage systems with 10.2 -- you probably should NOT use Norton.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    I have to say I'm with Brad: in, what 8 years now of Mac usage, during which every OS has been kept bang up-to-date all the time, I have never had anything go tilt, so I'm always bewildered when I see (usually within 3 days of any upgrade hitting the streets) "Apple are useless, this OS update is a POS, don't they test it or anything?".

Okay, so I probably sound like I'm some sort of Apple PR mouthpiece, but the vast majority of people will stay quiet until they have a problem, and I like to redress the balance.

Actually, I don't know if my machine will boot into OS 9: I haven't needed it since X went on...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    I've never had any problems with OS updates either, but then I deliberately don't tinker with the hardware (processor upgrades etc), apply any software hacks or move application files around etc. It's impossible for Apple to test an OS release with every conceivable combination of hardware and software, but I'm sure they test it with most stock machines (past and present), and send copies to major software developers for testing with existing applications. For the record, my machine won't boot into OS9 either, but then I don't have OS9 installed!

[ 09-20-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 13
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Gah, 10.2.1 sucks for my Beige G4, I booted into 9, bam, couldn't get back into X... had to reinstall 10.2, geez, what a pain... Must wait for next revision before buying powermac.........
  • Reply 12 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    [quote]Originally posted by chych:

<strong>Gah, 10.2.1 sucks for my Beige G4, I booted into 9, bam, couldn't get back into X... had to reinstall 10.2, geez, what a pain... Must wait for next revision before buying powermac.........</strong><hr></blockquote>

Haha, beige g4...love the sound of that