Editing out comercials. Please help.

3m33m3
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

So, I made a Dvd from Tivo and want to edit the commercials out. How can I accomplish this?

I transferred the whole content of the DVD I made to the HD of my Imac. What program should I use? imovie? I tried that and It doesn't seem that I can import the files in. How would you do?

Thanks so much in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    1) Put the DVD back in your drive.

2) Open Disk Utility (User/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility)

3) Click the DVD icon in the side bar of the Disk Utility app window, then click "New Image" from the icons at the top. Save the disk image to the desktop.

4) Open iMovie 08.

5) Mount the disk image (double click the disk image icon on the desktop). A "Camera Detected, Scanning Contents" window will appear in iMovie 08, followed by an import window. You can now import the DVD.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    3m33m3 Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

1) Put the DVD back in your drive.

2) Open Disk Utility (User/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility)

3) Click the DVD icon in the side bar of the Disk Utility app window, then click "New Image" from the icons at the top. Save the disk image to the desktop.

4) Open iMovie 08.

5) Mount the disk image (double click the disk image icon on the desktop). A "Camera Detected, Scanning Contents" window will appear in iMovie 08, followed by an import window. You can now import the DVD.

Thank you, I did almost everything, BUT iMovie 08 keeps crashing while the computer is scanning contents of the camera.

I have the new iMac G5 3.06 with 4 gigs of memory. Certainly is not the computer, right? What should I do?

• Reply 3 of 15
    Hmmm.......... it's been a while since I used this trick, and when I tried it just now I got the same crashing, so my guess is is that Apple updated something that made this not work.

Never fear, there's always Handbrake!

Go get Handbrake here. You want the "GUI" version for the Mac you have (PPC or Intel). Handbrake is a wonder app that all Mac users should have, so it's just as well that you're getting it now.

It looks a little complicated, but it's not. Make sure your DVD is in your machine and fire Handbrake up. Select the video files from the DVD as your source and MP4 as your output. You can play around with the video and quality settings, if you like.

Once Handbrake has converted your file, open iMovie and drag the MP4 file into the event library. The "import movie" doesn't work, for some reason, but dragging does.

Now you're in business-- just edit out what you don't want and export via the "Share" menu in iMovie.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Hmmm.......... it's been a while since I used this trick, and when I tried it just now I got the same crashing, so my guess is is that Apple updated something that made this not work.

Never fear, there's always Handbrake!

Go get Handbrake here. You want the "GUI" version for the Mac you have (PPC or Intel). Handbrake is a wonder app that all Mac users should have, so it's just as well that you're getting it now.

It looks a little complicated, but it's not. Make sure your DVD is in your machine and fire Handbrake up. Select the video files from the DVD as your source and MP4 as your output. You can play around with the video and quality settings, if you like.

Once Handbrake has converted your file, open iMovie and drag the MP4 file into the event library. The "import movie" doesn't work, for some reason, but dragging does.

Now you're in business-- just edit out what you don't want and export via the "Share" menu in iMovie.

Still didn't work. Dragging didn't work, but I Handbrake converted all the files. What should I try next?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3M3 View Post

Still didn't work. Dragging didn't work, but I Handbrake converted all the files. What should I try next?

Yikes. Did you have an existing event to drag it to? I realize this is getting sort of elaborate, and to be honest Apple has made it pointlessly difficult to get such files into iMovie 08-- although '09 may address this.

Anyway, if you have an existing "event", try dragging the MP4 file onto that. If you don't, make one by grabbing something iMovie can handle, if you have it.

I just tied it, and if there's not event to drag the MP4 onto, it just snaps back, but if there is an event, the event highlights and the file copies over.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    This may sound crazy, but the easiest thing to do might be to drag the MP4 file into your iPhoto library, where it will import and create a new event.

The next time you launch iMovie, it will show up (as will any videos in iPhoto) as an event, under iPhoto events.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

This may sound crazy, but the easiest thing to do might be to drag the MP4 file into your iPhoto library, where it will import and create a new event.

The next time you launch iMovie, it will show up (as will any videos in iPhoto) as an event, under iPhoto events.

Well, that worked . The first file I could drop into a new event in iMovie. I have cut the commecials out, now I have to figue out how to burn the final file into DVD.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Well, that worked . The first file I could drop into a new event in iMovie. I have cut the commecials out, now I have to figue out how to burn the final file into DVD.

That, at least, is reasonably straightforward (although, again, a little more complicated in iMovie 08 than previously, and hopefully than in '09).

Rather than type a lot, here's the Apple support site instructions. Let us know if you get your DVD!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    QuickTime Pro could do this as well as long as QuickTime can play the video. QuickTime Pro is a cheap $29. Then just reburn it to a DVD.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

QuickTime Pro could do this as well as long as QuickTime can play the video. QuickTime Pro is a cheap $29. Then just reburn it to a DVD.

I don't know anymore.... iMovie 08 has crashed more than 40 times. I've sent plenty of reports to Apple. How frustrating

I am starting to HATE iMovie. This should be SIMPLE , but it's not ....

I have a capable computer but the software is BAD (for this)

Would Quicktime Pro also edit? Would it edit as a DVD file or as a mpeg4 file?

Somebody out there must have done this. Please HELP !!!
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

I don't know anymore.... iMovie 08 has crashed more than 40 times. I've sent plenty of reports to Apple. How frustrating

You will need to put the media in a format that QuickTime can play such as MPEG4, MPG, etc. Once QuickTime can play it, you can cut things out of the video and it will automatically squeeze the video together. This will ONLY work with QUICKTIME PRO! The standard version of QuickTime that you can download from Apple, or that installs with OS X will not doing this until you upgrade it to Pro. Its $29 to do this (or obtain a code from a torrent/serials site).
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Just some background info that might help:

1) That sucks that iMovie is crashing so much! And I agree that it should be easier to do this. I'm not really sure how Tivo burns DVDs: does it just put on a single file on the disk or does it put Audio.TS and Video.TS and a bunch of other garbage?

If it puts Audio.TS and Video.TS, then that in itself is the reason why it's so difficult to get the videos off the disk and into iMove. DVDs were made to be a playback-only medium to prevent copying and "piracy". Whatever for those media mongruls who don't get it.

2) Do you have all of the latest updates installed for iMovie/iLife?

3) When you handbrake the video - which I guess answers my question in #1 above (it's in Audio.TS and Vidoe .TS, isn't it?) - you have to do it in a format iMovie and/or QuickTime can understand - just like macxpress said above.

If iMovie doesn't work and still quits even if you have the latest updates, you can try going with the old iMovie 6 HD. Get it at http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html

You have to have iLife '08 installed.

Let us know how it goes!

Alex
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexluft View Post

If iMovie doesn't work and still quits even if you have the latest updates, you can try going with the old iMovie 6 HD. Get it at http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html

Let us know how it goes!

Alex

Now that iLife '09 is shipping Apple has pulled the iMovie HD 6 download.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexluft View Post

Just some background info that might help:

1) That sucks that iMovie is crashing so much! And I agree that it should be easier to do this. I'm not really sure how Tivo burns DVDs: does it just put on a single file on the disk or does it put Audio.TS and Video.TS and a bunch of other garbage?

If it puts Audio.TS and Video.TS, then that in itself is the reason why it's so difficult to get the videos off the disk and into iMove. DVDs were made to be a playback-only medium to prevent copying and "piracy". Whatever for those media mongruls who don't get it.

2) Do you have all of the latest updates installed for iMovie/iLife?

3) When you handbrake the video - which I guess answers my question in #1 above (it's in Audio.TS and Vidoe .TS, isn't it?) - you have to do it in a format iMovie and/or QuickTime can understand - just like macxpress said above.

Let us know how it goes!

Alex

OK. FYI: It worked but this should be so much simpler. First: As soon as I did choose all frames per thumbnail (slide all the way to the right) at the bottom right of the iMovie window, the program (iMovie sopped crashing) It might be a coincidence But it worked.

Then I opened iDVD and did the rest. Be aware that in iDVD you won't have the choice for "large" so, I had to choose medium which might have compromised the quality of the video.

I hope Apple makes it simpler to achieve this.

Thank you for all that helped!!!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

iMovie 08 = Fail

iMovie HD (06) = Great

I couldnt even get imovie 08 to import files cause it would start importing then crash