OS X Acconts and Groups

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello everyone... Currently I am attending college for my MCSE and currently we are learning about Groups and User Permissions. I thought I would check this stuff out on my Mac since every version of Mac is basicly the Professional Level OS unlike Windows where you have a Home Level and Professional Level. I can't figure out for the life of me where I can make User Groups or even add users to Groups. Right now I have two accounts mine (Administrator) and my Girl friends. I applied all restrictions and permissions that I wanted to to her account and that is find and dandy. But if I add any more accounts I would like to be able to make a group so I don't have to go though and do all the permissions and restrictions again. If any of you can Help me on this that would be great. I'm probably going to go and buy a Mac OSX Bible or some thing just so I can my hands dirty. Anywho hopefully some of you know what I am talking about and will post. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    NetInfo manager is the place for all that stuff. I don't know a whole lot about it, so I'll leave that to someone else. There was a thread here the other day about it, so maybe there are some links that you could follow up on.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    You can also set permissions and manage groups from the terminal.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Netinfo worked great I still have to buy a book so I can get more info on it but I can figure some of it out on my own. Thanks guys. I have to get back to Starwars Jedi Star Fighter now on the Xbox
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Actually, it's a whole lot easier in OS X Server... there's a GUI for nearly everything on OS X Server. I think Apple did that intentionally... I mean if you're going to have so many people connecting that you need to make groups, you probably need OS X Server, not client.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Xaqtly:

<strong>Actually, it's a whole lot easier in OS X Server... there's a GUI for nearly everything on OS X Server. I think Apple did that intentionally... I mean if you're going to have so many people connecting that you need to make groups, you probably need OS X Server, not client. </strong><hr></blockquote>

True but if you are in a workgroup with about 10 computers or so and you don't want to apply permissions and restrictions to every user you want to be able to do it easily. Now that I know to use Netinfo I downloaded the user manual which is a 60 page .pdf file and I am going to print it out at school ... I just want to see how it works on the Mac side since I am doing that in school for Windows