New QuickTime 7.6 addresses quality, security

Posted:
in macOS edited November 2015
Apple just released the new QuickTime 7.6, which includes updates for encoding quality, reliability, compatibility, and security enhancements.

Video improvements include better single-pass H.264 encoding quality and better playback of Motion JPEG content.

For audio, Apple reports that encoding fidelity has been improved for MPEG 4 AAC (Advanced Audio Codec, the successor to MP3) playback, the default option for ripping in iTunes. Release notes also state that audio tracks from MPEG video files now export consistently.

The new update also includes compatibility improvements for iChat and Photo Booth.

A series of security fixes are also part of the update, which benefits both Mac OS X and Windows users. Many of the security patches address issues with handling maliciously crafted media files, based on security vulnerabilities discovered by third party researchers.

QuickTime 7.6 is available as a 72MB download for Mac OS X 10.5 or higher, a 63MB download for Mac OS X 10.4.10 or higher, and a 20MB download for Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Vista.

Alternatively, you can download and install the update via Mac OS X's Software Update mechanism accessible via the Apple menu.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I hope this addresses the overall speed of the program.

Quicktime is the slowest loading program on my 2.4ghz iMac and movies take 5-10 seconds to load.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Quicktime is the slowest loading program on my 2.4ghz iMac and movies take 5-10 seconds to

load.

Well mine is instant on a 2.2 MBP maybe you loading a big movie file but even then mine is only 2 seconds.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Quicktime is the slowest loading program on my 2.4ghz iMac and movies take 5-10 seconds to load.

Movies load fast on my iMac G5! Maybe you have some third-party QuickTime plug-in slowing things down.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Installing now
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Interesting improvements. Should those make a difference with apps like iSquint or handbrake which use shared libraries?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Question: What is the diff between H.264 for iPod/Phone or H.264 for ATV? Both play on ATV but only one plays on iPod/Phone.

Does anyone know the direct setting for iShowU for ATV or iPod?
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Can we have High Profile support for H264 in quicktime?!
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Question: What is the diff between H.264 for iPod/Phone or H.264 for ATV? Both play on ATV but only one plays on iPod/Phone.

See http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/...ne/003218.html or google ffmpeg ipod .
  • Reply 9 of 24
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Calling AAC 'the' successor to MP3 is a little bold isn't it?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

No. It was designed from the start to be the successor to MP3. It was originally going to be called "MP4."
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Well, it's very interesting, thank you

and my site

Hello. Is there those who really helped [url=http://propik.primaryblogger.co.uk]Propecia[/url] in the initial stages? Moreover, only without other Finasteride tablets.

Clearly no bald patches, but the hair is thinning on the sides of the front line. I think that to take. Propecia is very convenient and easy to use, of course. But effective it? Been reading here in the next branch, that has circled the contrary enormous.

Respond, please! Very important!

Actually watching the hair and make pictures every month since June 2014, and like as not drop already, or have dropped out but quite a bit of what is possible and not noticeable. Every morning when I spend a hand through his hair can stay a maximum of 5-6 hair on arms, no more that I know quite well.

It makes about 50% of cases, research data.
    At the forum there are people who this medication more harm to their words of course, Stormbreaker in particular.
    This helped in the initial stage of course there is, it is a help, at any stage, or not, he just any action or not.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) is a standardized, lossy compression and encoding scheme for digital audio. Designed to be the successor of the MP3 format, AAC generally achieves better sound quality than MP3 at many bit rates.

AAC has been standardized by ISO and IEC, as part of the MPEG-2 & MPEG-4 specifications. The MPEG-2 standard contains several audio coding methods, including the MP3 coding scheme. AAC is able to include 48 full-bandwidth (up to 96 kHz) audio channels in one stream plus 16 low frequency enhancement (LFE, limited to 120 Hz) channels, up to 16 "coupling" or dialog channels, and up to 16 data streams. AAC is able to achieve good audio quality at data rates of 320 kbit/s for five channels. The quality for stereo is satisfactory to modest requirements at 96 kbit/s in joint stereo mode, however hi-fi transparency demands data rates of at least 128kbit/s (VBR), better thanMP3. The MPEG-2 Audio tests showed that AAC meets the requirements referred to as "transparent" for the ITU at 128 kb/s for stereo, and 320kb/s for 5.1 audio.

AAC's best known use is as the default audio format of Apple's iPhone, iPod, iTunes, and the format used for all iTunes Store audio.

AAC is also the standard audio format for Sony?s PlayStation 3 and is supported by Sony's Playstation Portable, latest generation of Sony Walkman, Walkman Phones from Sony Ericsson, Nseries Phones from Nokia, Nintendo's Wii (with the Photo Channel 1.1 update installed for Wii consoles purchased before late 2007), the Nintendo DSi, and the MPEG-4 video standard.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

No. It was designed from the start to be the successor to MP3. It was originally going to be called "MP4."

I don't think it was ever going to be called MP4. In fact, that was the biggest mistake the MPEG group made. Most people think that AAC is a proprietary Apple thing, and many people demand MP3 despite AAC being superior. If the MPEG group had called AAC MP4 instead, people would have been all over it (according to the tried and true "hey, it's got a bigger number, so it must be better!" marketing method).
  • Reply 14 of 24
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I don't know how it translates into iShowU settings, but the Tech Specs pages on Apple's web site for each device you are interested in lists the supported formats including bit-rates, resolutions, profiles, etc. You can usually fudge around with the resolutions a bit depending on aspect ratio as long as the total number of pixels/macroblocks doesn't exceed the limit. Profile selection seems to be the part that trips up most folks.

AppleTV: http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

iPod Classic (I think all iPods are the same): http://www.apple.com/ipodclassic/specs.html
  • Reply 15 of 24
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I hope that like last year this becomes a sign of continued roll outs of new and updated products.

As to quick time I'm hoping this improves performance on my MBP. I still get decode glitches on movies and TV shows dowloaded from iTunes. This on either the Intermal or external disks. I'm not sure if it is QuickTime or possibly Perian. Maybe I will delete perian first.

Also has any body done an install on an early 2008 MBP and seen any signs of GPU acceleration of movie decodes? It will be a few hours before I can install and I'm in wishing mode that Apple will finally put the GPU to better use here. I don't want to wait for Snow Leopard to get this feature. More so I kinda imagine that the new white MB now has GPU acceleration, if it does it will make my relatively new MBP look rather sad.

Thanks

Dave
  • Reply 16 of 24
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruckerz View Post

Can we have High Profile support for H264 in quicktime?!

Pretty please. CABAC support is long, long overdue. If only Apple would embrace x264 rather than their own sub-standard implementation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

MP4 is stupid and has no logical support as a name. Nevertheless, you can stick AAC files in a .mp4 container.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I don't think it was ever going to be called MP4. In fact, that was the biggest mistake the MPEG group made. Most people think that AAC is a proprietary Apple thing, and many people demand MP3 despite AAC being superior. If the MPEG group had called AAC MP4 instead, people would have been all over it (according to the tried and true "hey, it's got a bigger number, so it must be better!" marketing method).

Why should it be called MP4? MP4 is a container format, and mp3 isn't named after "MPEG-3", but as audio layer 3 of the MPEG-1 standard. Furthermore, the MPEG-4 (MPEG-4 part 3) standard doesn't define only audio, but multiple video formats too, and AAC is part of the MPEG-2 (MPEG-2 part 7) standard as well. Let's name it MP2, or MP3, or MP7? Why MP4?

The reason why people demand mp3 is first and foremost compatibility, and secondly the lack of an encoder with the status of EAC.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Why should it be called MP4?

Didn't I explain that? You don't need to tell me all that stuff about MPEG-4 and AAC, I know it. (BTW, QuickTime does support CABAC, the problem preventing high-profile H.264 is mainly lack of support for pyramidal B-frames). Edit: are we talking encoding or decoding? According to wikipedia, Apple's encoder doesn't do CABAC. But I know that QuickTime will decode content that uses CABAC. But either way, Apple should be embarrassed that their H.264 encoder and decoder both absolutely suck in comparison to open-source alternatives.

The reason AAC should have been called mp4 is a purely marketing thing. People would see "mp4" and immediately recognise that this is a successor to mp3 (with a thought process along the lines of: "hey 'mp4' is like 'mp3' but the number's bigger! mp4 must be the successor to mp3 and it must be better because the number's bigger!" sorry, but that's how most people (as opposed to geeks like us) think about technology).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

The reason why people demand mp3 is first and foremost compatibility

But if AAC had been called mp4, the codec would have been more widely accepted and understood to be an mp3 successor (not a proprietary Apple technology as most people believe), and people would demand their music players support mp4, not that content be provided in a seriously outdated and under-performing codec.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Deleted.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    From my personal observation one of the biggest problems with AAC is the general lack of support by non-Apple players. These players support a whole range of formats, even obscure ones like Vorbis and FLAC, but AAC seems more often than not missing. On the other hand since pretty much every player on this planet can decode MP3 it's little surprising that it is the de-facto lingua franca of digital music, despite Apple's dominance on the music player and digital distribution market.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Will Apple ever fix the AC3 passthrough issue in QuickTime? It's been broken for ages and I wish VLC wasn't the only media player out there that actually outputs audio over multiple channels.