Neebie here....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have one questions I am not computer savvy, but know enough to get an Apple computer and the right specs for my needs, but here is the question that is eating away at me right now.

1.) Should I hold off until the new iMac's officially drop (supposedly soon). The reason is that I have read everywhere that the new iMacs will have a wicked processor and graphics. I believe the one I am currently looking at ( the 24" 3.06 Ghz) has the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory... that sounds like that would be good enough for me... but I know there are always better things coming up... any ideas what and when they will be dropping?? Definitely looking at the iMac...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Here's something to consider. The iMacs and Mac Mini's used to be updated together on the same day. However, the last time the iMac was updated, the Mini was not. People thought the Mini would be discontinued. Yet the very same non-updated Mini is still around. People are expecting the second update to the iMac before the first Mini update since they were last seen together.

Apple is weird. They're mostly a mobile computing organization now. You can count on them to update their laptops, iPods, and iPhones in a timely manner, but not their desktops. Although, you certainly see more frequent updates to the iMac than the Mini or Pro. So, if waiting a few months is not that big a deal to you, then I suggest waiting. However, if you need one now, the current iMacs are the most decent Mac desktops you can buy.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    If I can get my eMac 1.25 GHZ (about four years old) to work faster after a friend installed Leopard onto it, then I think I will wait. I was told told that the 1.25 processor is not enough to run Leopard... I'm sure that is true, based on how my computer has been performing. It had Mac OS 10.3 Panther I believe. My friend will be reinstalling it this weekend to see if it fixes the problem. If it gets fixed, I'll wait a few months in hopes that the new iMac's get updated.

I love my eMac... it has run flawlessly sense I got it in 2004. I just recently upgraded to a 1G memory and just a few months ago I added a 500GB HD.... unfortunately, my 1.25 GHz cannot compete with Leopard.

Thanks again for your quick reply... I really appreciate it!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

Here's something to consider. The iMacs and Mac Mini's used to be updated together on the same day. However, the last time the iMac was updated, the Mini was not. People thought the Mini would be discontinued. Yet the very same non-updated Mini is still around. People are expecting the second update to the iMac before the first Mini update since they were last seen together.

Apple is weird. They're mostly a mobile computing organization now. You can count on them to update their laptops, iPods, and iPhones in a timely manner, but not their desktops. Although, you certainly see more frequent updates to the iMac than the Mini or Pro. So, if waiting a few months is not that big a deal to you, then I suggest waiting. However, if you need one now, the current iMacs are the most decent Mac desktops you can buy.