Can't Access Router Control Panel

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have two computers (Mac and PC) connected to a cable modem via Belkin router. Both can connect to the Internet.

My Power Mac G5 2Ghz has two internal hard drives. My primary boot drive has Leopard 10.5.6 and the secondary has Tiger 10.4.11.

I had the built in Firewall set for "Allow only Essential Services" then I changed it back to "Allow all incoming connections" before I installed Netbarrier X5. My access to the internet and router/control panel was fine.

Then suddenly my G5 (Leopard) was no longer able to log into the router/control panel only the PC (Windows XP). Tried Safari and Firefox and both come back with the error message "Safari can't connect to server."

When I boot the G5 into "Safe Mode" it is the same thing, can connect to the internet but have no access to the router control panel. So it can't be Netbarrier.

But If I my G5 reboot with my second drive that has Tiger. My access to the router's control panel is restored.

I am also trying out OpenDNS. When I rebooted into either Mac OS (Leopard or Tiger) and turned the service on or off, the results are the same.

Is there some setting or preferences under Leopard that needs to be changed or deleted? Or is it something else?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    My guess...

Your IP address isn't on the LAN but the gateway is known. Hence internet access but not to the router's LAN IP. (Most cheap routers don't have loopback)