The Eject Key

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Why does the eject key only work for whatever's in the SuperDrive? I mean really, a key dedicated just to ejecting a CD? How does that make sense? I eject my iPhone 10x as much as I eject something out of the SuperDrive. What I think they should do is have the eject key bring up a menu of all drives that can be ejected, along with an eject all option. It's a huge pain going to the Finder, ejecting my externals, then going to iTunes to eject the iPod and iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    The iPhone can be ejected by physically picking it up.

This isn't possible with optical media. Hence they physical button.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

The iPhone can be ejected by physically picking it up.

This isn't possible with optical media. Hence they physical button.

Yeah, and then you get that annoying message about how it wasn't ejected. It's a pet peeve of mine to see that, so I always eject everything.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Yea but then if you have something in your super drive and have, your iphone in then it will eject both and what if you don't want to eject the cd/dvd, and you could do it by accident easily, how ever on your iphone it ejects it once you start using it and its connected to the computer, then just un hook the cord.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomasthetug View Post

Yea but then if you have something in your super drive and have, your iphone in then it will eject both and what if you don't want to eject the cd/dvd, and you could do it by accident easily, how ever on your iphone it ejects it once you start using it and its connected to the computer, then just un hook the cord.

No. My idea is to have the eject key bring up a menu where you could choose to eject the cd/dvd, your iPhone, your external hard drive, or whatever you have hooked up that can be ejected. The menu could also have an eject all option. Of course if you like how it works now, you simply disable the menu in system preferences.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Right-clicking works quite well. If you right-click the itunes icon, you can eject your ipod/iphone without bring itunes to the front. If you mount disks on your desktop, you can do right-click eject too. You can actually pull an iphone out without ejecting and not get a warning though you should generally only do it when itunes is closed.

I actually don't use the keyboard eject button at all except on the Mac towers that have a tray and no physical button. Part of the reason could be that it's so useless of course. I don't think I'd mind if it popped up a menu with a list of connected drives. It would mean they could get rid of the delay they put in to prevent accidental ejects.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Right-clicking works quite well. If you right-click the itunes icon, you can eject your ipod/iphone without bring itunes to the front.

Now this I didn't know, thanks, I'll probably do it this way from now on unless they make the eject key do what it should do.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foodmetaphors View Post

No. My idea is to have the eject key bring up a menu where you could choose to eject the cd/dvd, your iPhone, your external hard drive, or whatever you have hooked up that can be ejected. The menu could also have an eject all option. Of course if you like how it works now, you simply disable the menu in system preferences.

Good point, after thinking about it i never eject my Touch, then again its not on the desktop.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    I think foodmetaphors has a good point here. I almost never have a CD/DVD in my laptop but I could have a flash drive and/or my external drive. If one ejectable item is on the computer the eject key should eject that and if more than one it should pull up a menu.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

... prevent accidental ejects.

accidental... or premature?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

But I like the OP's idea. The pop-up menu ... and a Sys Pref (or Finder Pref) setting to select "normal" function , or menu function , or some other default behavior...

I use the button for ejecting CD's on the iMac... but it would be extremely handy to have the menu and "eject all" when one is ready to close up a notebook with stuff attached to it... just to make sure you don't unplug a drive while it while it's being written to