Trash Can deleting

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Can I delete individual items from the trash can or as it seems, it is all or nothing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Just tried it out... looks like all or nothing. What you can do is open the trash can (click on it in the Dock), slip the items you don't want erased to the desktop, empty the trash and then move the other stuff back.

I also sometimes have stuff that I think is ready for trashing but want to wait a day or two before deleting it (while I make sure that it is actually backed up or on my other machine, etc.). In this case I just make a small folder titles something like "To rash" and then dump it when I'm ready.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    You can use 'rm' on the command line if you want to kill just a single file (or 'srm' if you want to make sure that it can never come back). But the GUI is all-or-nothing.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karl Kuehn View Post

You can use 'rm' on the command line if you want to kill just a single file (or 'srm' if you want to make sure that it can never come back). But the GUI is all-or-nothing.

For some of us non-techies, could you explain this? Do you mean in Terminal?