How to stop the iPhone from reloading web pages

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi all,

It's really bugging me the way the iPhone seems to randomly reload web pages when I switch back to them in the tab view... it really screws up my forum browsing because the back button becomes greyed out! There seems to be no ryme or reason to it either, as sometimes it does reload, sometimes it doesn't.

How can I put an end to it once and for all and stop it from automatically reloading pages that are still open?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mrochester--I know what you mean. I recently became a corporate iPhone user, having switched from the ubuitous white collar communication tool, the BlackBerry.

People have been asking me which I like better. I tell them that one (of the few) points in the BB's favor is going back to previously web pages. The iPhone seems to reload them all over again when going back, whereas the BB instantly shows the prior page. Perhaps it was cached or something.

The iPhone's reloading of previous pages slows up web surfing, likely uses more battery power, and is annoying. I also find the iPhone screen so sensitive to finger touches that unintentionally touched web links start loading when I merely intended to move up or down the page.

I'll check back later this week to your posted Q to see if anyone provides ideas.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    It reloads them when they were kicked out of RAM. The iPhone has 128 MB of RAM, and no virtual memory. As soon as other things you do on it take up too much memory, Safari starts removing least recently visited pages, which means it has to reload them when you do access them again.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

It reloads them when they were kicked out of RAM. The iPhone has 128 MB of RAM, and no virtual memory. As soon as other things you do on it take up too much memory, Safari starts removing least recently visited pages, which means it has to reload them when you do access them again.

So the iPhone runs out of RAM with just one or 2 Safari tabs open?! Wow, that is really poor design indeed. I thought I'd got passed the days of my smartphone running out of RAM when Nokia started putting 128mb in their devices about 2 years ago. Can't believe Apple cut such a huge corner with this thing - it doesn't half make you wonder why one paid £350 for it!