Snow Leopard -O*P*I*N*I*O*N Apple in Server/Enterprise FUTURE?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
What say you?

With Snow Lep coming and the new z style file system that checks for errors as well as Apple's easy deployment, what do you think will happen in the next 1-3 years?

Any growth? Will Windows 7 steal some thunder or will Snow do it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Apple will have to do something pretty significant to really steal any of Microsoft's dent in the enterprise market. Its just like someone trying to steal the iPod marketshare away from Apple...and now the iPhone marketshare. They're already in very deep.

But it would be nice to see Apple try. If there's anyone who can do it, its Apple. All they have to do is gather the REAL needs of system admins and focus on an easy secure OS, with lots of easy to use convenient features. Currently, OS X Server isn't anywhere near Windows Server. But its getting there. Make a server OS that any tech with decent computer knowledge can run. Windows Server is so daunting to use IMO.

I just think most will get the wrong idea about Snow Leopard. Its a huge release under the hood, but to the average consumer will not look like a good release as it has no real features to the immediate eye. I'm not saying thats a bad thing. Mac OS X already has tons of features and I don't see the need for 300+ more features. What Apple is doing is the best thing they could do right now. Stop and do some cleanup.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Apple will also have to a real desktop system not a over priced 2 year old mini and atom will be even slower if that is in the new mini. Also a smaller sever system $1500- $2500 not $2,999.00 UP. The mini need faster disks to be a good sever.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

Apple will also have to a real desktop system not a over priced 2 year old mini and atom will be even slower if that is in the new mini. Also a smaller sever system $1500- $2500 not $2,999.00 UP. The mini need faster disks to be a good sever.

The Mini isn't meant to be a server and Apple will never make it so it will. Its a low end consumer Mac. Their server product is the Xserve which is actually a really good deal when compared to Dell, HP, IBM, etc...

You can install OS X Server on any Mac really and it will run fine for basic server tasks. But Apple isn't going to go out of their way to make the MacMini a server worthy Mac. They don't make very much money off it as it is.