switching to mac (need help)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hello everyone,

I have a really long confusing question so bear with me plz...

Me and my girlfriend are currently looking into buying a MB or MBP after having screw up after another with our pcs but the thing is we are lost with which one to purchase. I had my mind set on the new2.53 unibody MBP but she and the sales guy talked me down to a 2.4 MBP. Now we are even wondering if we need a macbook pro n not just a macbook n are totally lost

we`ve gone through tons of magizines and forums....

Im going to use it for everyday stuff, playing world of warcraft (just got into it), getting back into photography and making music/recording bands (logic, reason, pro-tools, ableton live) thats why I need something portable

shes going to use it for light everyday stuff also n photoshop

should we buy the new unibody models or go with an older model mac since its our first one n are a lil scared

p.s. sorry if u read this else where I posted in another forum!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Epinephrine123 View Post

hello everyone,

Me and my girlfriend are currently looking into buying a MB or MBP after having screw up after another with our pcs but the thing is we are lost with which one to purchase. I had my mind set on the new2.53 unibody MBP but she and the sales guy talked me down to a 2.4 MBP. Now we are even wondering if we need a macbook pro n not just a macbook n are totally lost

Im going to use it for everyday stuff, playing world of warcraft (just got into it), getting back into photography and making music/recording bands (logic, reason, pro-tools, ableton live) thats why I need something portable

should we buy the new unibody models or go with an older model mac since its our first one n are a lil scared

Are your audio peripherals firewire interfaced? If so get the pro, the Macbook does include a FW port.

Considering the apps your going intend to use I would get a MBP. The Macbook is a fine machine but you'd probably appreciate the slightly better performance and better screen of the MBP.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Buy the cheap one. Then spend the money you saved to take a writing class. You'll learn the proper use of capital letters, commas, apostrophes, periods and a bunch of other stuff that will prevent you from looking ignorant when you type out requests for information on a forum.

Ok, so I'm just yankin' your chain a little. If you can afford a MacBook PRO, then why not buy 2 White Macbooks?. For less money, you'll each have your own computer; powerful enough to do anything you mentioned.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Ok, so I'm just yankin' your chain a little. If you can afford a MacBook PRO, then why not buy 2 White Macbooks?. For less money, you'll each have your own computer; powerful enough to do anything you mentioned.

Actually that's a nice recommendation KOSH.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    thanx for the help -__-

didnt know I was writing an essay to a college professor
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Buy the cheap one. Then spend the money you saved to take a writing class. You'll learn the proper use of capital letters, commas, apostrophes, periods and a bunch of other stuff that will prevent you from looking ignorant when you type out requests for information on a forum.

This is my suggestion as well. Buy the two white MacBooks. You re two people. To think you can share one laptop is shortsighted.

You will get far more productivity out of two slow machines than one fast one. The white MacBook also still has Firewire, in case you want to use some Firewire audio or video peripherals.

You will also avoid any conflict with regard to arguments about who gets to use the machine when.

And you can play WoW together.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    2.4ghz MacBook Pro. Go for it.

Quote:

hello everyone,

• Reply 7 of 11
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

...And you can play WoW together.

Heh. "A couple that raids together, stays together..."
  • Reply 8 of 11
    You'll definitely want the higher resolution of the MBP if you want to do anything in Logic. In fact, even 1440x960 resolution is quite limiting these days...You'll also appreciate the better graphics performance in WoW (is that STILL going...). Overall I'd recommend getting the best laptop you can.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Heh. "A couple that raids together, stays together..."

• Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

You'll definitely want the higher resolution of the MBP if you want to do anything in Logic. In fact, even 1440x960 resolution is quite limiting these days...You'll also appreciate the better graphics performance in WoW (is that STILL going...). Overall I'd recommend getting the best laptop you can.

He can always plug it into an external monitor when using logic at home or in the office.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

He can always plug it into an external monitor when using logic at home or in the office.

Yeah 20" external monitors are cheap nowadays.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

thanx for the help -__-

didnt know I was writing an essay to a college professor

Oh, nevermind