I need help with ITUNES somebody!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Dear techno wizards...

I had all my music files neatly arranged on an external HD by artist/album.

I didn't have them on I-tunes initially but decided to add my whole HD to I-tunes.

Now I have just been and looked and the folders on the HD have all changed!

Now most tracks have been put into their own folder, and the folder is named after the artist.

As the majority of my music is compilations, this is most frustrating!

Is there an easy way to fix this problem or has I-tunes bent me over and stuck its penis deep into the depths of my anus?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    iTunes manages the file structure which is why it changed things on you. If you have mostly compilations then be sure to tag them in iTunes as compilations and then they'll appear by album instead of artist in the folder structure. Although eventually you may find that it's much easier to find music via the iTunes interface than a folder structure on your drive.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I agree, use iTunes to manage your songs not a folder structure.

iTunes warns you before you add music that it is going to reorg your music. You probly didn't fully understand what iTunes was trying to tell you. You can always disable this feature in Preferences but it will not undo what is done
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jofomofo View Post

... or has I-tunes bent me over and stuck its penis deep into the depths of my anus?

Well, in truth, you ASKED iTunes to play rough with you. You're supposed to read those pop-up dialog boxes.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Well, in truth, you ASKED iTunes to play rough with you. You're supposed to read those pop-up dialog boxes.

1) How do I tag the albums as 'compilations?'

2) I really need to sort this problem out as I want to exchange music with mates but as it stands the folder structure is really annoying!

Am I stuffed?

Thanks 4 yer help!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jofomofo View Post

1) How do I tag the albums as 'compilations?'

2) I really need to sort this problem out as I want to exchange music with mates but as it stands the folder structure is really annoying!

Am I stuffed?

Thanks 4 yer help!

1) Select all the songs in the album, cmd-I (get info), click the "options" tab, change "part of a compilation" to "yes".

2) What I do is I keep all the songs in itunes, organized the way iTunes wants to organize them, and when I want to share them, I drag them from the iTunes window into a temporary folder on my desktop, which I share, then delete when I'm done. Easy-peasy.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    This is an option in iTunes preferences. Uncheck the "Keep iTunes music folder organized" and iTunes won't move stuff around on you. I think it might be too late, however, as I don't think it will put everything back if you uncheck it, it will just not move anything in the future, if you wanted to spend the time to move everything around manually.