Transfer files from G4 iMac to iMac intel

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My old G4 iMac 20 is being given to an relative and I need to transfer files, addresses, bookmarks, etc. to my iMac 24 intel. Both Macs have OSX 10.4.11. What is best method to transfer data?

Also, how difficult to change the name who owns the iMac as well as the password?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hhmm i'm not sure how to transfer the files. i'll check on that. but if you get leopard, the transfer would be easy =). you can also connect the two with firewire cable, turn the G4 into firewire mode and the G4 turns into an external harddrive in the intel. you can also transfer thru your network by sharing the folders.

as for the name and password, just go to system preferences -> users and there you can change the names, icons and passwords for all users.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    File Transfer:

Use FireWire target disk mode to boot the G4. Connect it to the Intel Mac. The Intel Mac will see it as a FireWire hard disk. Drag and drop.

Account Change:

MAKE SURE YOUR DATA is all transferred off the G4. DOUBLE CHECK. Good? OK: Go into System Preferences and create a new Admin account with whatever username and password you want for the recipient. Log off. Log in as that new admin account. Delete your old account. Done.

MORE SECURE METHOD: Do an Erase & Install Mac OS X on the G4 and set it up purely as the recipient's username & such. Yeah, it's a pain, but it ensures 100% that your data and history with that computer is gone and the gives the recipient a "fresh" OS to get started with instead of inheriting your system-wide tweaks and underlying system-wide problems from your previous use of the "used" OS.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

File Transfer:

Use FireWire target disk mode to boot the G4. Connect it to the Intel Mac. The Intel Mac will see it as a FireWire hard disk. Drag and drop

Is it best to use the above quoted method or Migration Assistant - or are they similar?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Is it best to use the above quoted method or Migration Assistant - or are they similar?

I think if your new machine is already up and running to your liking then Migration Assistant might overwrite some things you may not want to have overwritten (system and application preferences). In that case you're probably better off manually transferring all of your documents and similar such files, not to mention applications. If you don't have the new machine all set up then Migration Assistant is the best first step.