Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2.1

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday afternoon released iPhone Software version 2.2.1, a maintenance and stability release that improves performance in mobile Safari and corrects issues with photos saved from Mail.

For iPhone

More specifically, Apple said the 246.4MB update:

Improves the general stability of Safari.

Fixes an issue where some images saved from Mail do not display correctly in the Camera Roll.

For iPod touch

A similar version of the software update available to iPod touch owners includes both of the aforementioned improvements in addition to correcting an issue that caused some Apple Lossless (ALAC) to skip during playback.

iPhone Software 2.2.1 is compatible with the iPhone 3G and the original iPhone, while iPhone Software 2.2.1 for iPod touch is compatible with both the first and generation of the touch-screen media player.

Upgrading

To update your iPhone or iPod touch to version 2.2.1, make sure you are using iTunes 8 and then connect your iPhone or iPod to your computer. When iTunes opens, select your iPhone or iPod under Devices in the Source List on the left.

In the Summary pane, click "Check for Update." Click Download and Install. Do not disconnect your device until the update has finished.

Readers are encouraged to report any other minor tweaks of features they discover in the forums thread for this article.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 124
    Can we get some indication of "snappiness".
  • Reply 2 of 124
    Jailbreakers should wait. The baseband has been updated.
  • Reply 3 of 124
    Whoopie do!!
  • Reply 4 of 124
    Um, a 250 MB for those two tiny improvements? I don't understand this.
  • Reply 5 of 124
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

probably something to do with the remote computer management features that aren't turned on yet.
  • Reply 6 of 124
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

I guess you have never upgraded an iPhone/Touch before? It is not an updater, it is a full install, like they have always been. This has always been the process in case you ever need to Restore your iPhone. A full installer program is required for the restore command.
  • Reply 7 of 124
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fellaintga View Post

Can we get some indication of "snappiness".

Can you read the two bug fixes?
  • Reply 8 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Can you read the two bug fixes?

Finally, after months and months...

Turn by Turn GPS like Tom Tom, copy and paste, FLASH support, 3Meg camera w/flash, decent OS... :-)

Oh shoot, never mind, that's the $119 Palm Pre... dag nab it.

Oh well, more stable Safari so they say.... whoot, whoot, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Reply 9 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Turn by Turn GPS like Tom Tom, copy and paste, FLASH support, 3Meg camera w/flash, decent OS... :-)

Oh well, more stable Safari so they say.... whoot, whoot, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Reply 10 of 124
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I can't believe nobody has complained about the lack of copy and paste in this update...

You guys are disappointing here...
  • Reply 11 of 124
    stepstep Posts: 11member
    I was all ready to be excited - here's Apple's shot across Palm's bow, here's a "taste of what WE got brewing for the iPhone".

Now, I won't sniff my nose at Safari stability improvements, no sir. Improving stability and reliability of the phone in general is a critical continued activity for Apple at this early point in the product's life cycle.

But I was hoping for a little more "teh sexy" in the package, some little wow feature or other. Guess they're probably saving up for their big summer blowout, but I'd always love to be surprised early! Oh well, wait until later in the year it is.

I'm sure they're working overtime to get something out though, so they can both preempt Palm, maintain momentum, and most importantly not just weather the macro-economic downturn but power through it and come out in way better shape than most other companies.
  • Reply 12 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Step View Post

I was all ready to be excited - here's Apple's shot across Palm's bow, here's a "taste of what WE got brewing for the iPhone".

Now, I won't sniff my nose at Safari stability improvements, no sir. Improving stability and reliability of the phone in general is a critical continued activity for Apple at this early point in the product's life cycle.

But I was hoping for a little more "teh sexy" in the package, some little wow feature or other. Guess they're probably saving up for their big summer blowout, but I'd always love to be surprised early! Oh well, wait until later in the year it is.

I'm sure they're working overtime to get something out though, so they can both preempt Palm, maintain momentum, and most importantly not just weather the macro-economic downturn but power through it and come out in way better shape than most other companies.

Umm...remember this a is dot dot release (maintenance update). Its not a full featured update like a 2.2 or 2.3 or even 3.0 update would be. I wouldn't expect that until around WWDC time.
  • Reply 13 of 124
    Anyone have a link to download it manually (outside of iTunes). Yes, it is possible to do. I've downloaded all of my updates that way so far.

EDIT:

iPhone 2G Update Link

iPhone 3G Update Link
  • Reply 14 of 124
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    No copy and paste? What?
  • Reply 15 of 124
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    is it just me, or has Apple been overall slowing down on the creative output front? It seems like they're putting out incremental changes on things (at least from an external viewpoint) for a while -- the unibody macbooks are nice (I already got one), but don't really feel substantially different from my old macbook pro (in fact, mine has felt consistently slower), the updates to the imac have been minimal, really the last significant changes have been macbook air, 3G iphone and the last major OS change (which really didn't feel like anything either... but maybe thats just me).

what happened to exciting new products seemingly falling out of the sky? Did they bite off more than they could chew at some point and have been playing catch up ever since?

Analysts have been spewing worries about the pipeline drying up with the loss of Steve, but I'm beginning to worry that we lost him a year ago or more, and we're seeing the dry pipeline now.

and no, I'm not a hater -- I love apple products and own several hundred shares (ouch for the past year). I just feel like I've gotten used to more from them, and I'm not seeing it lately.

oh, and as for this latest update, yeah. very exciting. (admittedly, I'm waiting more breathlessly for the next major update to tap defense)
  • Reply 16 of 124
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Oh really? Please give me a link to where I can buy a Pre!

Just because Apple isn't pre-announcing everything doesn't mean they won't have any/all of that before the Pre does. Let's compare things that are actually available to buy, shall we?
  • Reply 17 of 124
    If you're jailbroken or use Yell0wsnow...DO NOT UPGRADE YET. Wait until the devTeam can make sure of what's going on with the new update.
  • Reply 18 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdog5142 View Post

If you're jailbroken or use Yell0wsnow...DO NOT UPGRADE YET. Wait until the devTeam can make sure of what's going on with the new update.

If you have a jailbroken phone you are automatically a loser anyways....
  • Reply 19 of 124
    I know...I suck.
  • Reply 20 of 124
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdog5142 View Post

Yellowsnow? Does that mean someone pissed into the software?