Now that Papermaster is cleared for takeoff what now?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Papermaster has just been cleared to work for Apple. Well, he starts in April. Is it safe to assume then that he won't have any impact on any new Apple products for 2009?

If so then how do you think his being at Apple will effect products for 2010? Why the hell did Steve Jobs want him at Apple in the first place? The common opinion is that they want him to start working on expanding the ipod touch into a family of devices.

But that would mean there really isn't a ipod touch extreme for 2009. I mean right?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Papermaster has just been cleared to work for Apple. Well, he starts in April. Is it safe to assume then that he won't have any impact on any new Apple products for 2009?

A good manager can have an immediate impact especially with respect to software. It may take a while longer to see an impact on hardware.

Quote:

If so then how do you think his being at Apple will effect products for 2010?

Sure it is possible. Frankly though I'm not exactly sure how much of that position is involved in the production of new hardware.

Quote:

Why the hell did Steve Jobs want him at Apple in the first place? The common opinion is that they want him to start working on expanding the ipod touch into a family of devices.

They wanted somebody to replace the guy that left!

Quote:

But that would mean there really isn't a ipod touch extreme for 2009. I mean right?

No you are not right nor really wrong either. The problem is that development doesn't stop at Apple just because one excutive leaves. Likewise we don't know what Apple has had the iPod team focused on. There really is no way for us to know what Apple is up to other than the obvious upgrades.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Papermaster will be coming to Apple as senior vice president of Devices Hardware Engineering, reporting directly to Apple chief executive Steve Jobs, on April 24. He'll be tasked with leading the Cupertino-based company's iPod and iPhone hardware engineering teams

According to the press release, at least, his job is pretty clearly on the hardware side.

What is planned for the rest of 2009 and probably part of 2010 is already at a prototype stage or more advanced. Of course Papermaster will have an impact on those products/the manufacturing of those product, maybe not much in those almost ready, but in following ones, certainly. Just don't expect a brand new product with a Papermaster "signature" on April 24, 2009. Or any breakthru new technology/concept just because Papermaster has been hired.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Guys; this just came to me but the new Touch tablet, when it comes, should be called Papermaster! So how about it the Papermaster Tablet.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 11
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

According to the press release, at least, his job is pretty clearly on the hardware side.

What is planned for the rest of 2009 and probably part of 2010 is already at a prototype stage or more advanced. Of course Papermaster will have an impact on those products/the manufacturing of those product, maybe not much in those almost ready, but in following ones, certainly. Just don't expect a brand new product with a Papermaster "signature" on April 24, 2009. Or any breakthru new technology/concept just because Papermaster has been hired.

Well, I didn't really expect anything in April with Papermaster's involvement from Apple of course. Whatever Papermaster is involved in it has to be in 2010. And he must have been hired to implement a plan conceived by someone else.....namely Jobs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Guys; this just came to me but the new Touch tablet, when it comes, should be called Papermaster! So how about it the Papermaster Tablet.

Dave

The new Apple papermaster..........nah. He has a very cool techy kind of name but it just doesn't fit as a name for an Apple product. Have you noticed that all of Apple's hit products usually have only like two syllables? With the first syllable usually beginning with "i". "Papermaster" just has too many syllables.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Well, I didn't really expect anything in April with Papermaster's involvement from Apple of course. Whatever Papermaster is involved in it has to be in 2010. And he must have been hired to implement a plan conceived by someone else.....namely Jobs.

Yeah it is very likely he will need to finish off the initiatives of others. That is to be expected, but that doesn't mean he can't have an impact on stuff in 2009. Especially software.

If he is given enough latitude we might see a rethinking of Mobile OS. Here I'm talking about things like multitasking and Bluetooth profiles. I still can't grasp why Apple has been so slow to support Bluetooth as it offers software developers incredible opportunities on these small computers.

Quote:

The new Apple papermaster..........nah. He has a very cool techy kind of name but it just doesn't fit as a name for an Apple product. Have you noticed that all of Apple's hit products usually have only like two syllables? With the first syllable usually beginning with "i". "Papermaster" just has too many syllables.

I don't know about what Apple would call the device but for me and some of the others in the community a nickname of Papermaster seems very fitting for a nicely sized tablet. Imagine a paperback book sized tablet that does everything IPod Touch devices do and has an optimized eBook reader along with a a book store to support it.

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Especially software.

If he is given enough latitude we might see a rethinking of Mobile OS. Here I'm talking about things like multitasking and ...

Papermaster will be leading the Cupertino-based company's iPod and iPhone hardware engineering teams.

Scott Forstall is senior vice president of iPhone Software at Apple. Reporting directly to the CEO, Forstall leads the team responsible for delivering the software at the heart of Apple's revolutionary iPhone including the user interface, applications, frameworks and the operating system.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    What now? Simple: He develops a better Xserve with his IBM Server know-how and still sends in those stupid court statements saying he didn't disclose any of IBM's IP.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

What now? Simple: He develops a better Xserve with his IBM Server know-how and still sends in those stupid court statements saying he didn't disclose any of IBM's IP.

Does anyone really care about the Xserve though? Its a cool product and all but umm.....meh?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I think Apple should hire an exeucitve to keep an eye out on Papermaster. Mr. Scissorsmaster would be nice.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

I think Apple should hire an exeucitve to keep an eye out on Papermaster. Mr. Scissorsmaster would be nice.

Just keep him away from Rockmaster's department, I doubt that they'd work well together.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

Just keep him away from Rockmaster's department, I doubt that they'd work well together.

Easy there stomach. Easy does it.