Negative scanners

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

Can someone please recommend me a decent negative scanner? I want to digitise all my old photo negatives in a format good enough to keep in iPhoto and upload to Flickr. I'm not interested in ultra professional resolution, but something in the region of 5MP would be good enough.

I've read that Veho are going to be updating their scanner hardware to work with the Mac, but I've heard some stories about the quality being awful. I wish someone would actually upload some of the results so we could decide for ourselves, but it has put me off.

I don't want to spend a fortune, but I am willing to spend a decent amount of money (low hundreds of £££, NOT thousands!!) to get what I want.

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!

:-Joe

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Hi,

Can someone please recommend me a decent negative scanner? I want to digitise all my old photo negatives in a format good enough to keep in iPhoto and upload to Flickr. I'm not interested in ultra professional resolution, but something in the region of 5MP would be good enough.

I've read that Veho are going to be updating their scanner hardware to work with the Mac, but I've heard some stories about the quality being awful. I wish someone would actually upload some of the results so we could decide for ourselves, but it has put me off.

I don't want to spend a fortune, but I am willing to spend a decent amount of money (low hundreds of £££, NOT thousands!!) to get what I want.

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!

:-Joe

If this is a one-time exercise, think about having a scanning service do the work for you. If you shop around, I'm almost certain you can have the job done for a much smaller fee than the cost of any scanner that could handle this task. Plus, you save your time.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

If this is a one-time exercise, think about having a scanning service do the work for you. If you shop around, I'm almost certain you can have the job done for a much smaller fee than the cost of any scanner that could handle this task. Plus, you save your time.

I found a service that would cost me £1.10 per scan. I haven't counted up my negatives but I'm guessing there's in the region of say 25 packs of photos, each with an average of 30 negatives, so that's over £800... Yowch.

Maybe I should see if I can find a cheaper service. I don't want to pick-and-choose which ones I have scanned, because the idea is to "backup" my whole collection digitally, I'm not just after the odd one for a special reason. If I did buy a scanner for my collection, I'd probably share the cost with a friend who wants to do the same, then when we were done put it on eBay and get some money back. So, say we spend £400-500, maybe sell it on eBay for £200-250, that means it's really only cost us about £100 each to do all our negatives.

I was looking at the Apple Store at these:

Epson Perfection 4490 Photo - only £159

HP Scanjet G4050 Photo Scanner - £156 - I saw one of these being demo'd about a year ago and it *seemed* quite good quality... It was more expensive then

or...

Epson Perfection V750 Pro Scanner - £599 - expensive, but would it be worth the extra cost?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Totally out of my depth when researching this stuff! Cheers!