17inch unibody matte screen photo?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
sorry.. i didn't do a search.. being a little ignorant ..

I am wondering how the matte screen will be like..

would the black borders be matte as well? or the "anti glare" is on the actual viewing area..

TIA...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The matte one has a silver bezel:

It's a shame they limited this to the 17" model.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    silver bezel???? it better be an aluminium part... uke: on the cheap plasitc paint v.s the unibody scheme...

but.. still.. what was attrative on the pros were the thin border lines.. and they did it this time by blacking out the whole thing... now a 50 bucks option that could ruin the look? ..... are there any pix out there?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BMWintoxication View Post

silver bezel???? it better be an aluminium part... uke: on the cheap plasitc paint v.s the unibody scheme...

but.. still.. what was attrative on the pros were the thin border lines.. and they did it this time by blacking out the whole thing... now a 50 bucks option that could ruin the look? ..... are there any pix out there?

I haven't found any pictures. I think it still looks attractive. Let us know if you find any decent reviews and pictures of the matte 17" unibody.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I prefer this look. The Dock looks like it's where it's supposed to be, at the bottom of the screen. The glossy, wide, black bezels make the Dock look like it's floating. It's an optical illusion but distracting nonetheless.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ... still no photos?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
  • Reply 7 of 10
    What's interesting is when you see them side by side, you can see how much better the matte version is:

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment....6&d=1231490987

I think the black bezel does artificially make the screen look bigger and hides the camera better but items on screen are over-saturated and people who say the blacks on glossy are better, well look at the right hand side of the screen in that image. On the left without reflections, it's only slightly better.

The color problems in the photo are really bad on glossy. The shirt on the guy in blue is all white and the details are lost.

Apple should put matte screens on the whole lineup right down to the Macbook as an option. To limit it to the 17" and charge $50 on top is plain profiteering. Basically they are saying the only way you will get a usable laptop display is to shell out nearly £2000.

It's quite funny how they changed the wording this time round:

"If you prefer a display with antiglare coating for a matte rather than glossy viewing experience, choose the antiglare widescreen display."
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

What's interesting is when you see them side by side, you can see how much better the matte version is:

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment....6&d=1231490987

I think the black bezel does artificially make the screen look bigger and hides the camera better but items on screen are over-saturated and people who say the blacks on glossy are better, well look at the right hand side of the screen in that image. On the left without reflections, it's only slightly better.

The color problems in the photo are really bad on glossy. The shirt on the guy in blue is all white and the details are lost.

It just looks like the glossy display is a lot brighter to me, and it's overexposed in the camera. Glossy displays don't do that to colors.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

It just looks like the glossy display is a lot brighter to me, and it's overexposed in the camera. Glossy displays don't do that to colors.

Yeah, judging by the illumination on the keyboard, the glossy one looks like the brightness was cranked way up. I suppose it has to be to try and overcome the reflections (and a great job it's doing too ).

Someone should do a parody ad called I'm a matte, I'm a glossee (glossy but pronounced like PC). Then the glossee guy comes out all bling'd up wearing a shiny sparkly suit that just blinds everybody round him.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Here's an unboxing for more pictures:

http://www.engadget.com/photos/macbo...ds-on/1385126/

I was watching a film recently and they had an over-the-shoulder shot of a Macbook Pro with a matte display and I thought, why didn't they use the new one? When you see the above image, you can see why that would be a bad idea with all the bright lights they use.

Without this 17" model, Apple could kiss a lot of their Hollywood endorsements goodbye.