How to block websites using Base Station?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have an Airport Base Station Extreme and am wondering if it can be used to block certain websites? I have seen ways of blocking websites on a specific computer in the house but with having children there are a few specific websites I want to be able to block on the complete wifi network whether it's used by a Mac, PC, or even a Nintendo Wii or iPod Touch. I figured there must be some way of blocking it with the Airport Base Station Extreme's software. If not, is there another way to block it? I have a comcast modem/router and don't really know of any software that can be used with that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I have an Airport Base Station Extreme and am wondering if it can be used to block certain websites? .

i had wanted to do that before with my TC but don't think Apple provides such features, so I used my old NetGear wireless router (624 model, the cheap 614 does it as well). It has a web interface and can perform the functions you wanted. Just switch your devices on/off one at a time to see their respective mac addresses and you are set to police whatever filtering rules you want.

Cascade your Apple router via fixed ethernet cable and set it to bridged mode.

Good luck.

In your case, connect the comcast ethernet cable to the netgear (Wan Port), connect one of the etherne ports to the Apple Base station Ethernet port (not the WAN port) configure BS to bridged mode.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Blocking websites? I can understand blocking access and protocols for certain or all machines. Is website blocking done by blocking DNS lookups on certain URLs or by blocking page requests to predetermine IP addresses?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    I am not on a Mac OS X machine now to check, but I remember this is possible only through the parental controls as implemented in Leopard. Nothing base station related.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I don't know of any way to block a specific website, but I believe the new AirPort Extreme/Express and the Time Capsule have the ability to shut off the internet at certain times. Thats about the best you can do there. I'm not connected to my Time Capsule so I cannot say for sure how the interface looks. I haven't gotten into the AirPort software in quite a while. Its great when things just work!