23" Cinema Display (Matte) Discontinued from Apple Online Stores

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Unless I'm missing something, it's gone bye-bye. Maybe I'm late hearing the news... I thought there'd be a lot of complaining when it happened.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Unless I'm missing something, it's gone bye-bye. Maybe I'm late hearing the news... I thought there'd be a lot of complaining when it happened.

You missed it: The Complaining.

It's been gone since the new 24 inch came out.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    The Store shows only 20" and 30" as options for the MacPro. The 24" does not work with the current MacPro due to the adapter. What about all the customers who buy MacPros now and want a middle size monitor? They have to go elsewhere?

Hopefully something is coming, but it will likely be an update to the pro that allows the LED monitor to work... but then they would have t update the other monitors as well... In short, the monitors will be updated this year alongside the MacPro.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The Store shows only 20" and 30" as options for the MacPro. The 24" does not work with the current MacPro due to the adapter. What about all the customers who buy MacPros now and want a middle size monitor? They have to go elsewhere?

Hopefully something is coming, but it will likely be an update to the pro that allows the LED monitor to work... but then they would have t update the other monitors as well... In short, the monitors will be updated this year alongside the MacPro.

It's called "Forced Choice Strategy". Most will opt for the 30 inch monitor from Apple and feel happy about getting a 30 inch monitor (because they had no other choice; 20 inch is just not large enough) and Apple will make more money in the interim, so every one is happy.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Did the 23" go offline straight after the 24" was released? I really thought for at least a month the 23" was still in action, coz like Bergermeister says, wow, a big pole up the ass for Mac Pro owners that want something mid-sized.

I thought the 23" would be gradually phased out, with a matte LED-backlit 25 to 26" or something mid sized "Apple Pro Cinema Display".

I'm in shock. Really.

Because, all this while, Apple was still featuring the 23" (AND THEY STILL DO!) on all their official websites... http://www.apple.com/displays/cinema/

Confused.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Did the 23" go offline straight after the 24" was released? I really thought for at least a month the 23" was still in action, coz like Bergermeister says, wow, a big pole up the ass for Mac Pro owners that want something mid-sized.

I thought the 23" would be gradually phased out, with a matte LED-backlit 25 to 26" or something mid sized "Apple Pro Cinema Display".

I'm in shock. Really.

Because, all this while, Apple was still featuring the 23" (AND THEY STILL DO!) on all their official websites... http://www.apple.com/displays/cinema/

Confused.

But when you use the same link you gave, and then click on BUY, then the 23 in is not on the list to buy and it is not displayed:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...lays?n=display
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

But when you use the same link you gave, and then click on BUY, then the 23 in is not on the list to buy and it is not displayed:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...lays?n=display

WOW. That is just evil. Shame on you Apple. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice... ummm... you can't get fooled again! ... Err... yeah!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

It's called "Forced Choice Strategy". Most will opt for the 30 inch monitor from Apple and feel happy about getting a 30 inch monitor

Do you really believe that? They're just not going to buy an Apple display.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Do you really believe that? They're just not going to buy an Apple display.

So you must also then believe that Apple just said "to heck with those customers who wanted to buy a 23 inch ACD! They can just go buy somebody else's monitor. We don't need them as customers!" Or do you think that Apple is an inept company and didn't see that or they just didn't have the technological capabilities to come up with a workable solution? Apple is about making money, and they make money buy selling products and getting the highest price that they can for each item sold. And if they can move you to a higher priced Apple product, and thus make more money, then that's what they would do.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

So you must also then believe that Apple just said "to heck with those customers who wanted to buy a 23 inch ACD! They can just go buy somebody else's monitor. We don't need them as customers!" Or do you think that Apple is an inept company and didn't see that or they just didn't have the technological capabilities to come up with a workable solution? Apple is about making money, and they make money buy selling products and getting the highest price that they can for each item sold. And if they can move you to a higher priced Apple product, and thus make more money, then that's what they would do.

Yeah I think Apple is making a gamble here. They're "gambling" on the upsell/cross-sell. That is, now that someone is kinda interested in an Apple Display, Boom! Push the 24" LED Display. Not happy with that? Boom! Upsell to the 30" Display.

Apple is willing to risk losing the customer's display purchase against the chance that the customer purchases higher-end Apple Displays.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Thanks to the purchase of a 30" ACD, I've got two beautiful 23" ACDs going on ebay.co.uk shortly.

Both are in as new condition, are pixel perfect, and have a good colour temperature out the box.

If anyone in the UK is interested ?*PM me.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Thanks to the purchase of a 30" ACD, I've got two beautiful 23" ACDs going on ebay.co.uk shortly.

Both are in as new condition, are pixel perfect, and have a good colour temperature out the box.

If anyone in the UK is interested ?*PM me.

Boy, play your cards right and you'll get a good price on that. Good luck mate, those 23"s are nice, nice gear.