Does Steve Jobs ever grace these forums with his presence incogneto and does he ever

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
comment?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Only Teh Shadow knows.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I'm Steve Jobs, you can tell by how obnoxious I am.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    I'm sure he has associated who browse sites such as this one however I am not sure if he has the time himself to do so.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I can't imagine why anyone from Apple, least of all Jobs, would be remotely interested in a site like this.

What would be the attraction? A tiny sampling of enthusiasts, many of whom are either completely unrealistic about what Apple ought to do or obsessively bitter about what they haven't done. A number of folks who appear to be not terribly bright high school students posting from their phones. PC using trolls. And a (relatively) small number of technically savvy adults with some actual insight into how the tech world works.

The internet, in other words. Where feverishly held opinions are a dime a dozen and the passions run high because the stakes are so low.

Don't get me wrong, I love this place and find all of the above endlessly entertaining. But I can't see what Apple would get out of it. They could probably get more useful feedback buttonholing random shoppers at the mall.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Does Steve Jobs ever grace these forums with his presence incogneto

Yes I do.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    No, he doesn't.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    How would we know if he is incognito?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    He has stated in the past the he has "checked some of the rumor sites" before a Keynote. Whether he checks this site or digs into the forums... who knows
  • Reply 9 of 23
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

How would we know if he is incognito?

He would likely have an IP that registers in Cupertino, California if he makes a post. For example, the guy from Microsoft MBU who posted here had an IP registered on Microsoft's internal network. This check wouldn't narrow it down to Jobs of course but you could make further observations once that check passed.

For browsing, there would have to be an automated test for visitors. I don't think that even finding this information out would have a benefit though. If people found even the slightest hint that he visited here, we'd get a whole bunch of 'Dear Steve' posts and threads with things like 'if you are reading this pweez help me. I am one of 20 million+ customers but my product no worky right and I deserve your undivided attention until it does. I've already sent a message [email protected] and worded it as if I actually know you and we are best pals. Reply soon.'. I'm sure we'd all rather avoid such a scenario.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    I don't see why Steve wouldn't peruse here occasionally, but doubt he has ever posted. He knew enough years ago to issue a subpoena to Appleinsider when he was on his confidentiality agreement crusade.

As far as Apple goes in general. Why would they not come here to see what consumers are saying about their products?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

I don't see why Steve wouldn't peruse here occasionally, but doubt he has ever posted. He knew enough years ago to issue a subpoena to Appleinsider when he was on his confidentiality agreement crusade.

In that instance, I don't think "he" knew a thing-- Apple's lawyers no doubt keep an eye out for anything, anywhere, that violates their confidentiality.

Quote:

As far as Apple goes in general. Why would they not come here to see what consumers are saying about their products?

Because what we have here is a highly unrepresentative group that doesn't tell Apple much at all about what "consumers" are thinking.

I'm not singling out AI, I doubt Apple looks at any Apple rumor/discussion sites. Hell, they barely listen to their customers.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

In that instance, I don't think "he" knew a thing-- Apple's lawyers no doubt keep an eye out for anything, anywhere, that violates their confidentiality.

Perhaps he wasn't the first to flag it, but all that anyone in this world has to do is get an internet connection and type in the email address. I would be very surprised if super secret Jobs never once typed in www.appleinsider.com to see for himself a leak about his own company.

Quote:

Because what we have here is a highly unrepresentative group that doesn't tell Apple much at all about what "consumers" are thinking.

I'm not singling out AI, I doubt Apple looks at any Apple rumor/discussion sites. Hell, they barely listen to their customers.

I would agree that there is a lot here that is pure speculation and definitely not worth Apple's time (nor even mine or yours). On the other hand, there are categories of threads, people typing in their personal experiences with specific Apple products, sometimes even photos of set ups or problems. There are creative people giving their vision of future Apple products or features that would be really helpful or perhaps even revolutionary. And all that is free for the viewing. Bottom line there is free information here among the weeds and I would speculate that someone from Apple checks here at least occasionally.And they are inconspicuous.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

.... There are creative people giving their vision of future Apple products or features that would be really helpful or perhaps even revolutionary. And all that is free for the viewing. Bottom line there is free information here among the weeds and I would speculate that someone from Apple checks here at least occasionally.And they are inconspicuous.

The lack of an xMac pretty much destroys your theory.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

I would agree that there is a lot here that is pure speculation and definitely not worth Apple's time (nor even mine or yours). On the other hand, there are categories of threads, people typing in their personal experiences with specific Apple products, sometimes even photos of set ups or problems. There are creative people giving their vision of future Apple products or features that would be really helpful or perhaps even revolutionary. And all that is free for the viewing. Bottom line there is free information here among the weeds and I would speculate that someone from Apple checks here at least occasionally.And they are inconspicuous.

Well, I can't say it's impossible that Apple has somebody that spends a little time occasionally scanning Apple oriented sites, but surely they get a pretty clear idea about problems and desires from their own discussion boards, customer feedback mechanisms, bug reporting and developer relations?

You think they need to come here to hear about cut and paste or MMS on the iPhone? Or see yet another tablet mockup? Or find out that the Pre is The True iPhone Killer This Time We Mean It? Or acquaint themselves with the radical idea that they Must Offer A Headless iMac Or Fail, or drop prices, or get into the Netbook racket, or put a DVD player in the Apple TV, or add codec support to Quicktime, or any of the other perennial topics? Cause I don't think any of that comes as a surprise to Apple.

If I were Apple, I'd spend time on a site like Ars Technica's mac forum, where the notions are backed up by programmer level know how.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Not the forum. Look, I know this might come as a shock to everyone reading this, but forums are for weirdos. There is no topic or any subject that would cause an ordinary person to register and make a post. Perhaps on medical sites where parents of children with rare diseases and genetic disorders can talk to one another, but even that is stretching it.

Now the front page, yes, he has to have seen it a few times, if only to know who to fire. He's too concerned about secrecy not to see what's leaking out. Not much leaks out anymore, though.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

If I were Apple, I'd spend time on a site like Ars Technica's mac forum, where the notions are backed up by programmer level know how.

Are you sure about that? I read ars's forums regularly and they are as much dumb asses as we are here.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Who is Steve Jobs?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The more reason SJ would visit AI. I don't think he is interested in a programer's point of view as much as a users point of view. A users point of view would be of greater importance to Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    I'm Spartacus.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

He would likely have an IP that registers in Cupertino, California if he makes a post. For example, the guy from Microsoft MBU who posted here had an IP registered on Microsoft's internal network. This check wouldn't narrow it down to Jobs of course but you could make further observations once that check passed.

For browsing, there would have to be an automated test for visitors. I don't think that even finding this information out would have a benefit though. If people found even the slightest hint that he visited here, we'd get a whole bunch of 'Dear Steve' posts and threads with things like 'if you are reading this pweez help me. I am one of 20 million+ customers but my product no worky right and I deserve your undivided attention until it does. I've already sent a message [email protected] and worded it as if I actually know you and we are best pals. Reply soon.'. I'm sure we'd all rather avoid such a scenario.

Couldn't he just surf threw a proxy? Steve can VPN in probably from anywhere in the world and we would never know it...