Does the Apple Remote Control work with a G4 iMac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've been thinking of using an iMac as a video player in my workout room. I'd like it to be able to grab videos (tv shows) from my main iMac. I'd also use it to play dvd's.

I was thinking of buying a used G4 iMac to do this, but would like to be able to use a remote control to use Front Row.

First, can I use Front Row on iMac #2 to get videos from iMac #1?

Secondly, does the Apple Remote Controller work with a ppc G4 iMac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    It's an infrared remote, and there's no IR port on that G4. So no, unless you can buy or build a USB IR receiver and program it to work with the remote.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    If you have an iPhone or an iPod Touch, you can use Apple's free "Remote" application to control the iTunes library on a computer (PC/Mac). Both the iPhone/Touch and the computer have to be on the same network.

This will allow you to watch your TV Shows or anything else you have in your iTunes Library*

Any client PC or Mac running iTunes 8 can be used, so a used G4 iMac should be able to do the trick, just watch the HD programming as playback might skip with a 64MB (or lower) video card.

*Items in your iTunes Library don't have to be items that are transferrable to an iPod or iPhone. You can make high quality (non-compatible with iPod/Phone) rips of your DVDs and Blu-Ray movies and add them to your iTunes Library and play them full screen through iTunes without any issues at all. Anything that will play in Quicktime (and QT plugins like Perian and Flip4Mac) will be playable in this fashion (Xvid, FLV, WMV, etc.).
  • Reply 3 of 4
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Hey thanks!

I forgot about the iPhone app.

That'll work just dandy.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Hey wait.

Dumb question.

Can I simply use my G5 iMac's iTunes videos over my network on a G4?

If so, how do I do it?