Shopping for MacBook Pro: Not sure about configuration

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm shopping for a MacBook Pro, and I'm almost certain which configuration I want. However, there's a couple of options I'm not sure about.

Basically, I want:

1) 15 inch screen

2) 4 Gb of RAM

What I'm not sure about is:

A) 5400 vs 7200 rpm hard drive

B) 2.4 Ghz vs 2.53 Ghz processor (is there really *that* much of a difference)?

C) 3 Mb vs. 6 Mb L2 Cache

Here's what I plan to use it for:

1) Programming/development (mostly Java, but I might possibly fool around with other languages, including Cocoa/Objective-C)

2) Virtualization. I want to run at least one other OS (Linux, or OpenSolaris) within a virtual machine (VMWare or VirtualBox) to try out stuff that won't run on OS X (ex latest versions of Java).

3) BootCamp, mostly for remote desktop when I work from home and possibly old Windows games.

4) Surfing/email/music and stuff that most people do with their computers.

I don't plan on doing anything graphically intensive, since I can't see myself using it to do any gaming. I already have an XBox 360 for my gaming needs.

Also, if somebody tells me they know for sure that Snow Leopard is coming out next month, then I can hold off my purchase.

The higher-end 15 inch MacBook Pro is a little expensive for me, but the lower end one with an extra 2 Gb fo RAM and possibly a 7200 rpm 250 Gb hard drive seems to be the right configuration for me.

What I don't really understand is what I gain in real world performance from a 7200 rpm hard drive, or a 2.53 Ghz processor or 6 Mb of L2 cache.

Can somebody please enlighten me?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    A.) 7200 rpm hard disk is faster and runs warmer. If you plan on ripping DVDs or burning video DVDs, the faster the read/write the better. Anything else, the 5400 rpm is good enough.

B.) Faster is always better, but if all the other aspects about the two CPUs are the same (same L2, watts) the 0.13 difference isn't going to be noticeable for real world use.

Kind of like comparing two cars with the same stuff except one has 240 horses the other has 253 horses. It'll make a difference if you're trying to break a land speed record on a salt lake, but both will get you to work at the same travel time in standard city traffic.

C.) The more L2 cache you have, the more efficient your CPU is sending out processed commands and receiving new ones. Kind of like how that "anti-skip" technology for CD-Walkmen worked. A slower GHz clockspeed processor with a large L2 cache is much "faster" than a faster GHz clockspeed processor with a smaller L2 cache.

1. A MacBook Pro of all the configurations will do this fine. If you are compiling binaries, the faster components may shave off a second or two of compiling time.

2. A MacBook Pro of all the configurations will do this fine. I wouldn't attempt to run more than one at a time, though. And if the virtualized system is something you're using full-time whenever you use your Mac (versus the occasional, 4-5 times per week test for 2hrs), then go with the faster CPU/L2.

3. Windows XP doesn't even take full advantage of the Core 2 Duo. You'll be fine with any MacBook Pro config -- its overkill for XP, and old games will fly. XP can't use more than 3GB of your 4GM of RAM, though. Vista is a bit of a hog, it will run fine on any MacBook Pro config. Old games will fly fine. New games should be fine if you're really going to get 4GB of RAM.

4. I can do all of that on a PowerPC G4 right now. You'll be fine with whatever MacBook config you choose.

In the end, I'd go with the lower-end MBP. The speedbumps of the more expensive 15" model aren't worth it. And when Snow Leopard comes out, your system will really fly.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks. Looks like I'll be going with the lower-end configuration. I'm still sitting on the fence about 5400 vs. 7200 rpm, but for $56 more including tax, I'll probably do it.

What I'm wondering about is RAM. Apple will charge me $150 to upgrade from 2 Gb to 4 Gb of RAM. I can get Kingston 1066MHZ DDR3 NO EEC RAM (2 1GB SIMMs) for $62. According to the Apple site, I'll have 2 1GB SIMMs in the MacBook Pro with the default configuration already, and there are 4 slots in all, so I imagine I'll probably end up filling all 4 slots if I go with third party RAM.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Thanks. Looks like I'll be going with the lower-end configuration. I'm still sitting on the fence about 5400 vs. 7200 rpm, but for $56 more including tax, I'll probably do it.

For $56? It's worth it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

What I'm wondering about is RAM. Apple will charge me $150 to upgrade from 2 Gb to 4 Gb of RAM. I can get Kingston 1066MHZ DDR3 NO EEC RAM (2 1GB SIMMs) for $62. According to the Apple site, I'll have 2 1GB SIMMs in the MacBook Pro with the default configuration already, and there are 4 slots in all, so I imagine I'll probably end up filling all 4 slots if I go with third party RAM.

Careful! Unibody MacBook Pros only have 2 RAM slots. So if you upgrade from 2GB to 4GB, you're replacing the two 1GB sticks that come stock with two 2GB sticks.

If you feel comfortable opening up the unit to install the RAM yourself, you can order two 2GB sticks from NewEgg (or wherever) and possibly save money, but you'd still have the two 1GB "stock" sticks you paid for sitting around doing nothing.

Apple typically overcharges for additional RAM. In this case, for $150 you're buying Apple RAM and paying them for labor to swap out the two "stock" 1GB sticks and replace them with two 2GB sticks. Granted, its warrantied labor. But check the NewEgg price on two 2GB modules, plus shipping, and the Apple upgrade might be a better path and you don't have those extra sticks laying around.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Click this link and you'll get a good price on some Crucial DDR3 SODIMMs that will work in your MacBook Pro. Cricual RAM is pretty darn good RAM and I've never had any issues with it.

$63.99 for 2x2GB (4GB total). You'll be in good hands there. Thats actually a lot cheaper than when the unibody MBP came out. I think I had to pay $63 for (1) 2GB DDR3 SODIMM back in October.

Link Vandil said, there's only 2 RAM slots and Apple will fill them both so you'll have to take one stick out to put a new one in. There's no sense in getting a 1GB stick because it will ship with (2) 1 GB sticks.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Thanks for pointing that out! I would have just contemplated buying the extra 2 Gb of RAM and based my decision on that price. Now I know I need to shop for 4 Gb of RAM instead.

I shopped around some Canadian online retailers, and it looks like I'd actually be paying *more* after tax than if I purchase the upgrade from Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Careful! Unibody MacBook Pros only have 2 RAM slots. So if you upgrade from 2GB to 4GB, you're replacing the two 1GB sticks that come stock with two 2GB sticks.

If you feel comfortable opening up the unit to install the RAM yourself, you can order two 2GB sticks from NewEgg (or wherever) and possibly save money, but you'd still have the two 1GB "stock" sticks you paid for sitting around doing nothing.

Apple typically overcharges for additional RAM. In this case, for $150 you're buying Apple RAM and paying them for labor to swap out the two "stock" 1GB sticks and replace them with two 2GB sticks. Granted, its warrantied labor. But check the NewEgg price on two 2GB modules, plus shipping, and the Apple upgrade might be a better path and you don't have those extra sticks laying around.

• Reply 6 of 6
    the 2.53ghz Macbook Pro also has double the Video Memory....

so for your money you get..

4Gb not 2Gb

6Mb cache on the CPU with a fast clock speed

512Mb Video Ram not 256mb....

Get the 2.53 not the 2.4... the 2.8 is not worth the extra cash