Trying to decide...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am ready to make the switch from a PC and move to a Mac. My question is which one. I am currently deciding between 2 notebooks.

2.40 Mhz and 2.53 Mhz

I will be doing moderate levels of both photo and video editing (mostly photo), very light gaming and of couse internet surfing. Is it worth spending the extra dollars upfront or should I go with the 2.40 and upgrade the memory. I would really appriciate some feedback from the real world.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adibill719 View Post

I am ready to make the switch from a PC and move to a Mac. My question is which one. I am currently deciding between 2 notebooks.

2.40 Mhz and 2.53 Mhz

I will be doing moderate levels of both photo and video editing (mostly photo), very light gaming and of couse internet surfing. Is it worth spending the extra dollars upfront or should I go with the 2.40 and upgrade the memory. I would really appriciate some feedback from the real world.

Made the same leap about a year ago and never looked back. Can't believe it took 20 years. Bought the MacBook Pro 17, fastest 2.6 processor and never regretted the decision. My advice - buy the best you can afford. You will never be disappointed.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Just don't be caught in the idea that you have to purchase the memory from Apple. They purposefully price their memory more expensively so that the Apple resellers (mostly the mail-order places) can bundle in extra memory "for free" without being much more expensive than the base models.

You do want to buy good memory, as bad memory causes a lot of headaches. My usual strategy is to go to www.dealram.com and to buy the least expensive memory that the vendors specify works in that model. I have never had a problem going that way. Do make sure that you are above the bar that says "Warning: The RAM listed below is not labeled by the seller for use with this system. "
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Never buy RAM from Apple. Never. Ever. Never. Overpriced piece of sh.....

Anywho, get the RAM from Circuit City they had 2GB stick for 20 bucks. IT was DDR3.