Mac OSX Software Update Failure

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

I have a two-month old MacBook Pro at version 10.5.6 and have successfully done software updates several times. I have access to the internet over an Apple Airport via a cable modem.

Recently, I noticed that all my software updates fail with the following dialog:
Software Update can?t connect to the update server. Make sure you?re connected to the Internet, then try again.
The console reports the following:
2/14/09 7:32:01 PM Software Update[1467] Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1004 UserInfo=0x8b0f80 "can?t connect to host"
I searched on the net and found that others have had this problem on the net and followed their suggested advice (to no avail) to delete com.apple.softwareupdate plist in
  • ~user/Library/Preferences/

• ~user/Library/Preferences/ByHost

• /Library/Preferences/

I have also run Onyx & Yasu. But that did not help either.

Finally, we have another MacBook Pro - about 1.5 years old that is not having this problem.

Does anyone have any recommendations which would allow me to successfully perform updates?

Thank you,

James

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Are you using the inbuilt firewall?

Are you using any third party firewall software?

What type of net connection do you use?

Does this happen very often and do you have any other macs to run and see if software update works on them
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Please see my responses below in green:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob_06 View Post

Are you using the inbuilt firewall?

yes - it is set to allow all connections

Are you using any third party firewall software?

no - not that I aware of

What type of net connection do you use?

Airport Extreme to Cable Modem

Does this happen very often and do you have any other macs to run and see if software update works on them

This does not occur on the other MacBook Pro in our house

• Reply 3 of 6
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Are both of your MacBooks connecting over Airport?

If they are, do they connect with the same signal quality?

Have you tried to update the two books at the same time? Or are they updated at different times of day?

Is your Airport network 'n' or 'g'? If g, are you taking a break and cooking something in the microwave while waiting?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I just noticed that while my access is through Firefox, there is no problem getting to internet. However, I am getting "404"s when I use Safari (which I typically don't use). Does that add any more food for thought?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Are both of your MacBooks connecting over Airport?

yes

If they are, do they connect with the same signal quality?

I'll have to check on that, but both are in the same room.

Have you tried to update the two books at the same time? Or are they updated at different times of day?

yes - at the same time and at different times

Is your Airport network 'n' or 'g'?

We have a cable modem connected directly to an airport extreme running 'n&g' which is connected to an airport extreme running 'g'-only. I have tried using both airports. If g, are you taking a break and cooking something in the microwave while waiting?

Why - what are you thinking it could be?

James
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Problem Solved

Somehow, the under Network -> Advanced ->Proxies, the proxy for Web Proxy (HTTP) was set. Oddly enough, this only affected Safari and Apple Software downloads and did not affect Firefox. Yippii - I am back again and happy with my mac again.

James

----

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfalek View Post

I just noticed that while my access is through Firefox, there is no problem getting to internet. However, I am getting "404"s when I use Safari (which I typically don't use). Does that add any more food for thought?

James

• Reply 6 of 6
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfalek View Post

James

I was checking on the RF environment and seeing if the two MacBooks were seeing different environments. They aren't.

I have been using 'g' a long time now and it can get knocked out fairly easily. Wireless phones and microwaves will interrupt and block it. At times making it totally unusable. Like when making dinner.