2010 iPhone a Quad Core? (ARM hits 32nm)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
ARM hits 32nm and enables 1080p HD video in a small package

Quote:

High-end smartphones could see a 10 percent to 20 percent improvement in battery life but process data faster with the 32-nm chips, Bruce said. The chips will integrate 1080p video encoding and decoding, and high-speed network capabilities.

The level of integration could also bring better processing capabilities to smartphones. The quad-core Cortex-A9 chip will be the first chip rolled out using the 32-nm process, and it could go into both smartphones and netbooks, Bruce said.

Nice battery life improvement if they can hit the upper end of that 10-20 percent improvement. The integrated 1080p video would be nice as well. I guess now we can see why Grand Central and other Snow Leopard tech is so vital to Apple and in a way why PPC support is being jettisoned early.

Gives credence to the former Quad Core iPhone rumors

I'd say that the 2010 iPhone is going to be flaming lava hot. I'd expect nothing less than

A device with HD Video capture and playback

AMOLED screen

At least dual cores

Much better camera

PowerVR SGX 5xx series graphics

If one is to buy a 3rd gen iPhone they can wait for second generation multi core iPhones in 2011 and imagine the power of iPhone revision 5.