Struggling since I got new hard drive with my iPod - any help appreciated

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi guys, sorry if my question seems dumb but I'm not very technical. My dad has an iPod nano and uses it with his PC (yeah I know I'm trying to get him onto a Mac but you know how stubborn parents can be!).

Anyway, his hard disk broke down and had to be replaced, so they put a new hard disk in and a new copy of Windows XP, so obviously he's lost all his data. He had a lot of stuff on the iPod itself, so I've downloaded iTunes for him again but whenever I try and sync it, I get a message from iTunes which says

"This iPod is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPod and sync with this iTunes library?

An iPod can be synced with only one iTunes library at a tine. Erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this iPod with the contents of this iTunes library".

Obviously I've just downloaded a fresh copy of iTunes to the new hard drive, so there's nothing in this iTunes library to replace it with. I don't want my dad to lose the music he already has safe on his iPod, but I don't want to get this message every time either.

Is there a way of uploading the contents of the iPod to this new library and then letting iTunes know that this is the only library we want the iPod to be associated with, because the other library is lost?

Any help appreciated!

Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSteve View Post

Hi guys, sorry if my question seems dumb but I'm not very technical. My dad has an iPod nano and uses it with his PC (yeah I know I'm trying to get him onto a Mac but you know how stubborn parents can be!).

Anyway, his hard disk broke down and had to be replaced, so they put a new hard disk in and a new copy of Windows XP, so obviously he's lost all his data. He had a lot of stuff on the iPod itself, so I've downloaded iTunes for him again but whenever I try and sync it, I get a message from iTunes which says

"This iPod is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPod and sync with this iTunes library?

An iPod can be synced with only one iTunes library at a tine. Erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this iPod with the contents of this iTunes library".

Obviously I've just downloaded a fresh copy of iTunes to the new hard drive, so there's nothing in this iTunes library to replace it with. I don't want my dad to lose the music he already has safe on his iPod, but I don't want to get this message every time either.

Is there a way of uploading the contents of the iPod to this new library and then letting iTunes know that this is the only library we want the iPod to be associated with, because the other library is lost?

Any help appreciated!

Thank you.

Give expod a try. Their website is expod.joynt.net. I've had good luck with it, but I'm not sure if your nano will be too new or not.