Folder View Question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Quick question (well maybe not so quick *g*): When I'm in "icon view" of a folder, it's possible to drag and drop the files into the order I'd like. However, when I switch to "list view", the order is back to strictly alphabetical AND there's no way to drag and drop files in list view.

Other than my pictures folder, I prefer to use the list view for viewing docs, but I'm stuck in icon view. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I believe that list view always has to be sorted by something and does not allow random folder placment.

Using the "View Options" while in a folder - +J for the shortcut or in the "View" drop down- you can select in which view a folder will open. You could set your picture folder to open with icon view while you browse around the system with list view. (I think this only works if you open the picture folder in a new window every time)

Also clicking the bars at the top of the window in list view ("Name", "Date Modified", ect) will sort the list by the option you select. The arrows next to your selection show if the list is being sorted in an ascending or descending manner according to your selection. You can even sort lists by label colour.

Finally, I do not recommend doing this, but naming your files using a numeric system will sort them in list view. Just add a 0001_ to the file name of the file you want to go first, followed by a file with 0002_, and so on.

I do not know if any of these really answer your question.