Video of claimed next-gen Mac Mini surfaces online

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
After being challenged over a still image, the source for what seems a leaked future Mac mini has now posted a video that shows the device from all sides.

While its authenticity has been disputed, the mystery system has gained what appears to be supporting proof of its existence from MacRumors forum poster "monthy," who on Friday posted a brief video tour of the Mac mini shown in the photo.

The clip shows a case which is fundamentally identical to the current compact desktop, including its wrap-around aluminum skin, white plastic top, and slot-load optical drive, but continues to show the exact same change in ports as before. A fifth USB port has been added, while Mini DisplayPort and mini DVI replace the earlier, full-size DVI video connector. FireWire 800 also replaces the earlier FIreWire 400 port.

No voice-over or other commentary is provided with the video, though in the previous leak the forum poster also claimed to know the system has architecture largely similar to a modern MacBook: the update would contain a 2GHz Core 2 Duo with a 1066MHz system bus, 2GB of DDR3 memory and a Serial ATA-based SuperDrive.

The video is labeled "Mac mini 2009 edition," clearly asserting that the system is intended for a release this year.

While the video and the image that inspired it haven't yet been corroborated, the two lend support to beliefs that Apple will revive its long-dormant budget computer efforts after roughly one and a half years of silence. Those familiar with Apple's intentions in the past have maintained that the Mac mini will use an NVIDIA platform that gives the desktop faster graphics and support for technologies like DisplayPort.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 184
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Although a Mac Pro user, I've always liked the Mac Mini a great deal. This one might convince me to buy one for the fun of it.
  • Reply 2 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... The clip shows a case which is fundamentally identical to the current compact desktop, including its wrap-around aluminum skin, white plastic top, and slot-load optical drive, but continues to show the exact same change in ports as before. ...

The lid/top looks different to me also.

And let me be the first to say that if this is real .... yawn, yawn, yawn.
  • Reply 3 of 184
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    You can see the zipper!

(ref. to early monster movies using cheesy costume designs)

So all you people who claimed it was a fake in the earlier thread: happy now?

It's still possible that it's either a) an internal prototype that may never see the light of day, or b) a very clever and well-constructed mock-up with no functionality. But at this point, it's hard to claim that the object in the video is the result of a Photoshop exercise.
  • Reply 4 of 184
    Good thing you posted this article, someone may have missed it in the mac mini thread from a mere day ago.
  • Reply 5 of 184
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

You can see the zipper!

(ref. to early monster movies using cheesy costume designs)

So all you people who claimed it was a fake in the earlier thread: happy now?

It's still possible that it's either a) an internal prototype that may never see the light of day, or b) a very clever and well-constructed mock-up with no functionality. But at this point, it's hard to claim that the object in the video is the result of a Photoshop exercise.

I agree, I think Photoshoping video like that is a lot more work than it is worth, and so is making a fake video using 3D rendering.

So it really is likely to be a physical object. Now it's a question of the true nature of that object.
  • Reply 6 of 184
    I have a hard time believing, after about a year and a half, that Apple would release something so similar looking to the predecessor. Why wouldn't they go with the black and aluminum theme?
  • Reply 7 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

Good thing you posted this article, someone may have missed it in the mac mini thread from a mere day ago.

Some of us stop reading after the first 120 comments or so (unless it's a particularly useful thread). Round-and-round talk about 'fake or not' gets boring after a while.
  • Reply 8 of 184
    Fake, meaning it appears homemade to me. I'd very surprised if that turns out to be a new Apple product. Nice design, but seems somewhat antiquated.
  • Reply 9 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I agree, I think Photoshoping video like that is a lot more work than it is worth, and so is making a fake video using 3D rendering.

So it really is likely to be a physical object. Now it's a question of the true nature of that object.

Yeah, those ideas are totally unrealistic ... It's obviously a physical device, and most certainly some type of prototype he got his hands on..
  • Reply 10 of 184
    I was thinking about why it would need 5 USB ports, and then it hit me. This computer, although portable, is meant for the Multimedia Room. That would mean you need 1. ATV, 2. TimeCap, 3. iPod / iPhone dock, and two for whatever (USB Flash, EXT HD, camcorder, etc). This makes sense to me because being the size the mini is, a usb hub would kind of clutter it's area. Also, I believe they left firewire on it because many cable companies are required to include firewire on their boxes, and firewire is also found on many other CONSUMER LEVEL A/V equipment (multimedia).
  • Reply 11 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

I was thinking about why it would need 5 USB ports, and then it hit me. This computer, although portable, is meant for the Multimedia Room. That would mean you need 1. ATV, 2. TimeCap, 3. iPod / iPhone dock, and two for whatever (USB Flash, EXT HD, camcorder, etc).

If this is expressly intended as a multimedia computer (which I don't think is true, since it doesn't include HDMI), why would you need an Apple TV? And even so, ATV and Time Capsule connect via Ethernet, not USB.

If Apple is including five USB ports, it's because someone there is finally fed up with cable/hub clutter in their own home and pushed to have that many on the Mini. It's too bad the new 24" monitor only include three, however.
  • Reply 12 of 184
    Well if this is fake then they really got me this time
  • Reply 13 of 184
    I had a mini a few years ago and the on button on this one in the video looks bloated and swollen and un-elegantly un-Apple-like.

Anyone?
  • Reply 14 of 184
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Fake IMHO.
  • Reply 15 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

If this is expressly intended as a multimedia computer (which I don't think is true, since it doesn't include HDMI), why would you need an Apple TV? And even so, ATV and Time Capsule connect via Ethernet, not USB.

If Apple is including five USB ports, it's because someone there is finally fed up with cable/hub clutter in their own home and pushed to have that many on the Mini. It's too bad the new 24" monitor only include three, however.

I need five USB ports:

1. Keyboard

2. Printer

3. Still Camera

4. iPod

5. Video camera

-Matt
  • Reply 16 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

I was thinking about why it would need 5 USB ports, and then it hit me. This computer, although portable, is meant for the Multimedia Room. That would mean you need 1. ATV, 2. TimeCap, 3. iPod / iPhone dock, and two for whatever (USB Flash, EXT HD, camcorder, etc). This makes sense to me because being the size the mini is, a usb hub would kind of clutter it's area. Also, I believe they left firewire on it because many cable companies are required to include firewire on their boxes, and firewire is also found on many other CONSUMER LEVEL A/V equipment (multimedia).

Note the FireWire 800 port to the right of the Ethernet port. If this thing is real, it's a smart move and a real plus!

FireWire is perfect for external hard drives, USB is NOT. USB is poor for streaming video or audio or for large or sustained file transfers. USB is perfect for input devices, that's about it.

http://www.usb-ware.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm

http://www.cwol.com/firewire/firewire-vs-usb.htm

http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html
  • Reply 17 of 184
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

I had a mini a few years ago and the on button on this one in the video looks bloated and swollen and un-elegantly un-Apple-like.

I don't see that being a big deal, for one, it's probably a little quicker and easier to find by touch. This kind of complaint sounds a lot like the complaints people had about the leaked "fat" nano design, or the vertical screen nano.

The thing that's the most curious is the dual video port. Display Port supposedly can operate multiple displays out of one jack, and Apple's implementation does allow for a DVI adapter too. So why the mini DVI? I haven't heard of any actual use of the display chaining feature though. Apple's own display doesn't seem to use it, so you'd have to use some adapter to do that, and it sounds like it could be expensive.

That said, if this mini actually comes out and uses the new nVidia chipset, and can power both video ports at the same time, then I would be very interested. I'm not placing bets for this to be made, but given the video, I'm not going to bet against it. That's because the people that make the loudest, strongest claims about something being a fake tend to turn out to be the most wrong statements when the actual product comes out.
  • Reply 18 of 184
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matthawaii View Post

I need five USB ports:

1. Keyboard

2. Printer

3. Still Camera

4. iPod

5. Video camera

-Matt

Don't forget, Matt, that the Apple keyboard has two USB ports. So, if you plug the Apple keyboard into one USB port, on the Mac Mini, you'll have two USB ports on the keyboard, and you'll only need two more, making it three total, on the Mac Mini.
  • Reply 19 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Don't forget, Matt, that the Apple keyboard has two USB ports. So, if you plug the Apple keyboard into one USB port, on the Mac Mini, you'll have two USB ports on the keyboard, and you'll only need two more, making it three total, on the Mac Mini.

The new Apple Keyboard provide two powered hi-speed USB ports for the iMac, but doesn't provide power when attached to any other current Mac as far as I know. Perhaps I should make a tally of my USB devices?

Mouse, keyboard, two USB hard disk drives, iPod dock, phone, several USB keys, charging cord for my bluetooth headphones, camera. I do not own a printer, however. You can never have too many USB ports.
  • Reply 20 of 184
    all i want on my imac is hdmi and how bout blueray if possible, that would be nice