Best Buy offering $100 iPhone discount to program members

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Members of Best Buy's Reward Zone program can save up to $100 on an iPhone 3G from Best Buy Mobile until the end of this week.

The full $100 discount is offered to Premier Silver members, making the price of an 8GB iPhone 3G just $99.99, or $199.99 for the 16GB model. Meanwhile, customers who have enrolled in the standard Reward Zone program can save $50 off either model.

Best Buy requires a Reward Zone membership that started on or before February 21 to be eligible for the deal with a limit of one per customer. The special pricing is only available in stores and the promotion ends Saturday.

A Best Buy Reward Zone membership is free to join while Premier Silver status is only available to Reward Zone members who spend at least $2,500 at Best Buy in a single calendar year, according to a list of frequently asked questions at the program's website.

Meanwhile, AT&T's recent round of online refurbished iPhone discounts is nearing an end, as the only model with some supply remaining is the 8GB iPhone 3G.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Clearing out stock before a big refresh? Maybe a big refresh that includes Verizon CDMA phones?

I don't think that Apple every confirmed the "5 year exclusive to AT&T" rumor, maybe it was only a two year exclusive, and now Verizon can come on line in June...
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Clearing out stock before a big refresh? Maybe a big refresh that includes Verizon CDMA phones?

I don't think that Apple every confirmed the "5 year exclusive to AT&T" rumor, maybe it was only a two year exclusive, and now Verizon can come on line in June...

Verizon's not capable of the same level of discretion that Apple is. It's my feeling that if this were the case, it would have been leaked in a big way by now. Also, Verizon's network runs phones hotter and requires more juice for connection. A CDMA iPhone would be tough to make in the same quality, and would undermine the solid business model the iPhone is based on: A single device for a global market.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Hmmm... what is the effect on Verizon phone battery life? If it was significant, you would think that people would be complaining a lot, and all I hear from Verizon customers is positive stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

A CDMA iPhone would be tough to make in the same quality, and would undermine the solid business model the iPhone is based on: A single device for a global market.

With the most crappy carrier- AT&T.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

In my experience Verizon and Sprint are neck and neck for the worst. AT&T is so far ahead of them simply because they don't cripple the sh!t out of their phones...
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:

Hmmm... what is the effect on Verizon phone battery life? If it was significant, you would think that people would be complaining a lot, and all I hear from Verizon customers is positive stuff.

Most Verizon customers aren't using data on an "iPhone user" level. Sure, their network is big, and the delivery of data is comparable in speed to AT&T, but it's inefficient. After an hour of YouTube, a CDMA iPhone would be hot, probably to the point where it'd be uncomfortable to hold.

Quote:

That's not always the case. It depends on where you live, and it's constantly improving. AT&T is not significantly, if at all, crappier than any other cell carrier here in the US.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

In my opinion Apple contract with AT&T is most likely per device model not years.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    And here we begin once again the eternal VZ vs ATT debate. The simple answer is "IT ALL DEPENDS." They each have their pros and cons, and your particular location / experiences don't necessarily speak for everybody else's. If you don't like AT&T, feel free to switch, but don't expect an iPhone. Apple considers them to be near-equals, and the benefit of a single GSM device capable of being sold worldwide far outweighs the (perceived) benefits of Verizon over AT&T in the United States. End of discussion!
  • Reply 9 of 23
    mrobmrob Posts: 13member
    Verizon's coverage has been much better everywhere I've lived or traveled compared to ATT or TMobile over the last decade or so. All carriers cripple their phones--except the iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    mrobmrob Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

And here we begin once again the eternal VZ vs ATT debate. The simple answer is "IT ALL DEPENDS." They each have their pros and cons, and your particular location / experiences don't necessarily speak for everybody else's. If you don't like AT&T, feel free to switch, but don't expect an iPhone. Apple considers them to be near-equals, and the benefit of a single GSM device capable of being sold worldwide far outweighs the (perceived) benefits of Verizon over AT&T in the United States. End of discussion!

If you want to make calls with your phone--novel thought--then its all about the carrier. And while its true that coverage quality is a local issue, you can't discount individuals' experiences with coverage from various carriers. Until there is truly a single device capable of being sold--and used--everywhere worldwide, the discussion won't be over.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Well, let me be the first (I know I'm not) to complain about Verizon.

I have been with Verizon since they were BellAtlantic and the phone came along with the bag that carried the battery, and the service has been crappy the whole time. I finally got a belly full of them when they wouldn't let me switch the mailing address of my mothers service to my address so I could pay her bills for her - she was 97.

I switched to AT&T about two weeks ago - along with a couple of iPhones, and so far, the service has been far superior to Verizon. Reception is better, setup was better and getting answers is better. I hate to let it slip that the same calling plan even with two iPhones is cheaper too.

Not only that, now I don't have to feel like I got that crew of friggin nurds following me around!!! (what jackass advertising)

Can you tell I glad to be rid of 'em?

Before =

After =
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

In my experience Verizon and Sprint are neck and neck for the worst. AT&T is so far ahead of them simply because they don't cripple the sh!t out of their phones...

If your carrier AT&T can't connect calls consistently and they drop calls frequently, what the hell difference does that make?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

That's not always the case. It depends on where you live, and it's constantly improving. AT&T is not significantly, if at all, crappier than any other cell carrier here in the US.

Then why is AT&T rated at the bottom of consumer reports year after year?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

If your carrier AT&T can't connect calls consistently and they drop calls frequently, what the hell difference does that make?

Agreed, if you live in Bumf--k Egypt, (a suburb of my town) you can't complain when no one provides good cell coverage.

But, as a corporate entity, my perception is that Verizon is less than desirable.

I was going to say opinion, but you know what they say about those.......
  • Reply 15 of 23
    if it's impossible to believe that apple will build a headless mac, it's also impossible to believe that they will ever release a phone that's not gsm. doesn't make fiscal sense for them, no matter how you cut it.

yes I get it, you would buy an iphone if only they were on verizon. but your purchase doesn't make up for engineering an entire new platform to work off of. different hardware, different software, different plans, all altogether confusing to the customer.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

if it's impossible to believe that apple will build a headless mac, it's also impossible to believe that they will ever release a phone that's not gsm. doesn't make fiscal sense for them, no matter how you cut it.

yes I get it, you would buy an iphone if only they were on verizon. but your purchase doesn't make up for engineering an entire new platform to work off of. different hardware, different software, different plans, all altogether confusing to the customer.

Right, because cutting out a huge chunk of the U.S. cell market somehow DOES make fiscal sense.

And because it would be impossible for Apple to accomplish the same thing that every other cell phone manufacturer somehow manages to do (making both GSM and CDMA versions).

It wouldn't be a new platform and only involve a modicum of different hardware and software. I'm not sure how many customers are confused about being able to buy, say, the Motorola Razr on different carriers.

None of your arguments against a CDMA-based iPhone make sense, fiscal or otherwise.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

Entirely new platform? Hardly... It would take very much effort for a CDMA iPhone, particularly if they used a combination HSPA/EVDO chipset in their new iPhone...
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Then why is AT&T rated at the bottom of consumer reports year after year?

I don't actually know, but I'd guess that most people don't actually LIKE their cell companies, so nobody says much good. And more customers means more complaints. And people somehow don't find acceptable anymore that their phones don't work EVERYWHERE.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Right, because cutting out a huge chunk of the U.S. cell market somehow DOES make fiscal sense.

None of your arguments against a CDMA-based iPhone make sense, fiscal or otherwise.

The number of consumers who want a CDMA based iPhone pales in comparison to the number of units Apple is able to ship in the rest of the world as GSM. Hell, if/when China Mobile falls in line, then the entire US market would be nothing in terms of possible unit sales. And don't forget, very few people even own a smartphone on any network, so Apple doesn't need to care about all you people who whine and complain about not being able to have an iPhone w/ Verizon. Unit growth on ATT will provide more than enough revenue in the short term given the current economic outlook. And if you really really really really want one, then wait till the 4G version when all US carriers are expected to use the same network format.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

The number of consumers who want a CDMA based iPhone pales in comparison to the number of units Apple is able to ship in the rest of the world as GSM. Hell, if/when China Mobile falls in line, then the entire US market would be nothing in terms of possible unit sales. And don't forget, very few people even own a smartphone on any network, so Apple doesn't need to care about all you people who whine and complain about not being able to have an iPhone w/ Verizon. Unit growth on ATT will provide more than enough revenue in the short term given the current economic outlook. And if you really really really really want one, then wait till the 4G version when all US carriers are expected to use the same network format.

The number of people NOT on CDMA is meaningless to this argument. All that matters is the number who ARE on CDMA. And there's little doubt that changing a couple chips to potentially sell the same number of iPhones as Apple has sold to ATT in the USA (is that 10 million now?) seems quite profitable. Since Apple makes around 50% gross profit margin, 10 million phones at $600 (times 50% = $300) equals $3 billion dollars in gross profit.

How much of that $3 billion do you think it would cost to engineer the changes needed to make a new model of the iPhone, something all the other manufacturers have managed to do profitably with FAR less popular AND expensive phones.