Is there any way to make a movie off of your screen?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So I know how to make screenshots of the screen, but is there any way to make a Quicktime movie of what's going on?

I'm really interested in making a very short movie of exactly what's on my screen. Is there any way of doing this in Mac OS X?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    <a href="http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/"; target="_blank">Snapz Pro X</a>

It rocks.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Excellent. I forgot about this product completely but at the same time, I knew something existed.

I'll try it out right away.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Be sure to read the documentation for tips about increasing framerate.

The simple truth is that it's impossible to get high framerates of a large capture area with the current slow bus and hard drives in Macs today. There are some tips to help, though.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    It did mostly what I needed it to do.

Unfortunately, it doesn' let you capture the Mac's sound which would have been perfect.

Then I can't record the sound off of the microphone because the second I hit Apple-Shift-3 to activate the application, it kills the sound from the application I'm trying to capture it from.

Oh well. It's a great app overall.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Unfortunately, it doesn' let you capture the Mac's sound which would have been perfect.</strong><hr></blockquote>I've found that a cheap male to male 3.5mm audio cable from Radio Shack connected to audio out and mic in works perfectly in the mean time. Unfortunately, this seems to be a limitation imposed by Apple, as explained in the documentation.

[quote]<strong>the second I hit Apple-Shift-3 to activate the application, it kills the sound</strong><hr></blockquote>May I ask what app it is?

[ 10-16-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>