iMac Crashed

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi All,

A newby to the board. I have a 20inch iMac (aluminum). It ran both windows and Mac Os via bootcamp. Yesterday, I came home a saw a windows BSD. Thought ok, no biggie, but when I restart it, nothing happened. To make the long story short, I ran diagnostics and received the following error: 4mot/1/40000003: hdd

This looks to be a HD issue, but google search indicated a possible logic board issue as well. My question is this: I'm going to take computer to the Genius Bar this afternoon and wondering if they say it's a bad HD, would they allow me to keep the old one for a couple days so that I can try to recover some data off it? A lot of my stuff is backed up, but some things I haven't backed up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    can you still boot the machine into OS X? If so, make copeis of the files. If it can still mount the vista partition, drill down the folders & get your files from that too.

they will likely pull the drive & send it right back, they can't keep them if they are under warranty, nor can you.

try a local service center. they may have or be able to run drive genius or file recovery software for you. not sure if they'll charge or not for the recovery but if the machine is under warranty, the drive replacement will be free.