Problems with FTP Server/10.2

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm trying to set up an FTP server with access to my music folder.

I have established a new user, etc...

Now, on attempt to login, an error 550 (can't set guest priveleges) is encountered.

Help?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    As you may, or may not have heard, chroot-ing users is a bit broken in 10.2. Your best bet is to go to:

<a href="ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/lukemftp/"; target="_blank">ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/lukemftp/</a>;

and download the lukemftp-1.2-beta2 file. This is the source for the latest lukemftp binary, a later version of the one that Apple uses.

When doing the ./configure make sure you specify the --sysconfdir=/etc[/B] option, otherwise you'll have to put ftpchroot in /usr/local/etc, and that is a bit of a hassle:

[code] ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc </pre><hr></blockquote>

You'll need the dev tools installed.

By the way, where did you set up ftp to get it to go directly to your music folder? I am not sure how to do this...

Hope this helps

low-fi
  • Reply 2 of 3
    As with lo-fi, I've been using this method to setup my ftp server. One step I added in my notes is:

[quote]

3. As superuser, replace /usr/libexec/ftpd with the ftpd now located in your lukemftpd-1.2-beta2/src directory. Now you can log in anonymously.

<hr></blockquote>

As an added step, I use no-ip.com as my DNS.

I can't remember, but I don't think I had to setup an ftpchroot for users.

This means if you log in, you're at the home directory. If your iTunes files are in the Music directory, then the user should have access.

I'm rambling, because I'm in a brain-fog today. Sorry.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I got it working.

I actually have a nice, static IP... I guess I was just having problems...

Thanks guys.