Installing Unix apps

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey everybody

I have a serious problem with Terminal in 10.2. I've installed stuff like nano and wget, but none of them seem to work even though the installations apparently are complete.

Please help!

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    123123 Posts: 278member
    [quote]Originally posted by catalyst:

<strong>Hey everybody

I have a serious problem with Terminal in 10.2. I've installed stuff like nano and wget, but none of them seem to work even though the installations apparently are complete.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

What do you mean by "none of them seem to work"? What error messages do you get?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Also, how exactly did you install them? If you put them in a custom location, did you add it to your PATH?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Well basically I downloaded these packages from the project websites onto my desktop, launched Terminal, 'cd-ed' my way to the desktop and the started the usual barrage of commands:

./configure

make

sudo make install

After installation and even restarting, when I try commands like 'wget', Terminal says 'command not found. Same goes for 'nano'.

All this used to work for me in 10.1.

Does any other 10.2 user have the same problems? Or perhaps it's because I'm using a legal ADC copy of 6F12? Then again the Terminal shouldn't be so screwed up right?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Nvm I found what's wrong in a similar post at 'Mac OS X Hints'.

Apparently it's the behaviour of Terminal in Jaguar.

I had to add a .tcshrc file in my home directory, and in the file commands like " alias nano /usr/local/bin/nano" and " alias wget /usr/local/bin/wget ".

Thank you Brad and 123 for trying to help!

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: catalyst ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by catalyst:

<strong>Nvm I found what's wrong in a similar post at 'Mac OS X Hints'.

Apparently it's the behaviour of Terminal in Jaguar.

I had to add a .tcshrc file in my home directory, and in the file commands like " alias nano /usr/local/bin/nano" and " alias wget /usr/local/bin/wget ".

Thank you Brad and 123 for trying to help!

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: catalyst ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

x.2 took /usr/local/bin out of the path. if, in ur .tcshrc, you put this:

[code]

setenv PATH "/usr/local/bin:$PATH";

</pre><hr></blockquote>

all ur installed programs should work. and then u dont need the aliases anymore.

but, to ease installing all kinds of unix apps, i suggest fink (http://fink.sf.net). the package simplifies installing many *nix apps. it resolves dependencies, downloads and installs programs, with a fairly easy interface.