Video editing with iMovie, need some help...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, so I have some video that I pulled off a camera and am trying to do some video editing. I know this isnt a Windows forum, but let me just give you a backround of what I have been dealing with. Anyways, copied all the videos to my PC and then tried to edit the videos with Windows Movie Maker. When I tried to import the videos into WMM, it gave me an unspecified error and said video format not supported (it was .avi IIRC) but it played in Windows Media player just fine. So I changed the file extensions the proper way to .mpeg and the videos still worked properly but WMM still said file type unsupported.

So now I just got a Macbook Pro and figured I would give the editing a go on this computer cause I figured the PC was just acting like a PC and being gay. Well, iMovie also will not import the same videos (same unspecified error, "file not supported"), no matter if they are .mpg, .mpeg, or .avi. I even tried Prism video converter and not even it will open these damned files. Anyone got any tips? Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Derek

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I would download Handbrake and convert the files over to .mov

That should do the trick, i had a similar problem but i converted and it worked.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Thanks, I will give that a try this evening.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Well, HandBrake actually imported the file and let me convert the video from a .mpg to .avi but iMovie still wont import or let me drag and drop files to start a project. This gets me so friggen angry, it shouldnt be this hard. Obviously I am not the most computer literate guy, but I have never had a problem with video editing before. Maybe the files are just crap. Any other ideas before I just wipe everything out?

Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    You converted them to AVI? Try .mov that is a quicktime format or even try .mp4 .mp4 should defiantly work.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    **edit**

Nevermind, I tried the .mp4 and now it works! Thanks for the help UTisNUM1... But the Gators are actually #1, Sorry, had to

Thanks again.