10.2 questions

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm a little late to the Jag party but here are my (non-technical) questions/observations after installing 10.2 and 10.2.1 this morning:

1. Software update - install log doesn't appear to log anything, although the updates are downloaded and installed properly. It worked under 10.1.

2. The pro speakers that come with the iMac now seem to hiss even more noticably, and now intermittently, than before.

3. My system seems slightly sluggish at times, especially when I run the Help app. Help moves at a glacial pace.

4. Mail is much better but has a long way to go.

5. I used Brickhouse under 10.1, but decided to drop it since 10.2 has a basic firewall GUI.

If anyone can offer any useful comments in term of items 1-3, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Do a clean install, or an archive n' install. Did you do that?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Those are questions?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>Those are questions? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Why yes, they are, see.

1.?

2.?

3.?

I'll try a clean install in the morning (it's night here in India). But before I do does anyone have any specific suggestions for the questions (yes, I'm claiming that they're are questions). How does the install log just fail to work?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    ...but i liked mail better before 10.2 ruined it!!!

hey gobble, i know how to solve your problems... give your mac to me. and go buy yourself a dell.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by gobble gobble:

<strong>

I'll try a clean install in the morning (it's night here in India). But before I do does anyone have any specific suggestions for the questions (yes, I'm claiming that they're are questions). How does the install log just fail to work?</strong><hr></blockquote>

are you seriously in india? i just came back from that country 3 days ago... i was going to email you, but i see youre not accepting private messages. so email me instead!

:cool:
  • Reply 6 of 18
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Being in India rates as a "technical problem"?

Wow...
  • Reply 7 of 18
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    As for Mac help, u are not the only one...

Apparently, it is slow for most users, perhapes too much help is not helpful at all
  • Reply 8 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by Overhope:

<strong>Being in India rates as a "technical problem"?

Wow...</strong><hr></blockquote>

India is one giant technical problem. I lose power several times a day (thank God for my UPS), and my broadband connection is a whopping 64K when it works. Also, since Apple has less than 1% of the market share here, it's effectively impossible to find Apple products or anyone with technical expertise. Maybe there are some Mac-heads in Bangalore that I'm missing.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by mac's girl:

<strong>

are you seriously in india? i just came back from that country 3 days ago... i was going to email you, but i see youre not accepting private messages. so email me instead!

:cool: </strong><hr></blockquote>

Okay - I just turned on the private email function. I live in New Delhi, so if you're going to be in town just let me know. What brings you to India? Are you a Desi?

p.s. I gave up playing RtCW online. With the internet so slow here my ping rate was way too high.

p.p.s. I'm getting off topic here, so does anyone know why the software update log might stop working? Thanks.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Mac Help is not right. It seems to be slow for everyone. Maybe a point update will fix it.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    My personal belief is that Help Viewer is way too dependent on files which are only available online: once you've spent quality time caching a lot of it, things improve, but local help files are just so much faster.

It's not a helpful situation for a new user, who needs Help more than those old hands...
  • Reply 12 of 18

<strong>My personal belief is that Help Viewer is way too dependent on files which are only available online: once you've spent quality time caching a lot of it, things improve, but local help files are just so much faster.

It's not a helpful situation for a new user, who needs Help more than those old hands...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ahhhh.... it makes sense now. I didn't realize that Mac Help was checking things online. Since my internet connection is way slow (see above), that goes a long way toward explaining the tortoise-like pace of Mac Help. Thanks.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    I've solved the Software Update install log problem. See Apple KB article 107136. Feel free to administer a verbal spanking to me for being too lazy to check the KB to begin with. Don't know what I was thinking.

Now, about that Pro Speaker hiss...
  • Reply 14 of 18

[QB]Being in India rates as a "technical problem"?

/QB]<hr></blockquote>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! yes, it sure does!!!!!!

• Reply 15 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by gobble gobble:

<strong>

p.s. I gave up playing RtCW online. With the internet so slow here my ping rate was way too high.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

how in god's name can you play anything online from India? i went to an internet cafe while i was there this past month, and i had to wait 8 minutes until after i typed the web address until the time the page came up. then i waited 12 minutes or more while aol anywhere opened up my mailbox. (they supposedly had a cable line.) often, it wouldnt even work and i ended up wasting 20 rupees and an hour of my time. however, it was the only air conditioned place in town, and i guess it beat sweating my @$$ off and being savagely bitten by mosquitos for that hour.

ok, anyway, i'll send you a PM.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    good grief ...just how many desi's are there

on this board )

cheers,

another transplant in san diego
  • Reply 17 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by madmax559:

<strong>good grief ...just how many desi's are there

on this board )

cheers,

another transplant in san diego </strong><hr></blockquote>

haha,dont count me as a desi. this was my first time going to india, and i dont think id' ever go back there unless i was training for "Survivor." if i have any long lost relatives there, they can stay lost. (i'm going to be singing God Bless America for a long time now.) i would go see my relatives in Saudi and the mideast, since they arent impoverished nations. i stopped in kuwait, and it seems pretty cool! theyve got some moolah in that country. LOL.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by mac's girl:

<strong>

haha,dont count me as a desi. this was my first time going to india, and i dont think id' ever go back there unless i was training for "Survivor." if i have any long lost relatives there, they can stay lost. (i'm going to be singing God Bless America for a long time now.) i would go see my relatives in Saudi and the mideast, since they arent impoverished nations. i stopped in kuwait, and it seems pretty cool! theyve got some moolah in that country. LOL.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not a Desi either. I'm just in India for a couple of years on business, although I am learning Hindi. Unfortunately 10.2 does not yet support Devengari (Hindi).