Safari 4

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone having problems losing connectivity to the net when using 4.0 beta???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    No. What do you mean? You lose your network connection? Your browser stops connecting?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

No. What do you mean? You lose your network connection? Your browser stops connecting?

No I loose all connection to the net.

Other computers on my network work fine.

No email, no browser, no nothing on this computer.

It seems to happen after I open that new "View" thing.

But I can duplicate the results over and over again.

I have to shut off the computer and let it sit and then re-start to make it connect again.

This computer is a new IMac and all the latest what evers on it.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edhayes View Post

This computer is a new IMac and all the latest what evers on it.

Wow, that certainly explains it.

At any rate, it is most unlikely that Safari 4b has anything to do with your problem. A bad Safari installation may cause Safari to be flaky. It will not affect anything else--not even your other browsers. Look into your settings in the Network preferences pane.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I think the tabs are crap. It looks a mess.

Though I do like the speed of the new safari.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    The tabs I've gotten used to ... but I miss the blue progress bar within the address field. I may have to find that terminal command to restore that functionality.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    HOORAY! Get rid of the crap tabs by typing in this in the Terminal...

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool NO

Back to the old skool
  • Reply 7 of 7
    After roughly a week of use I feel comfortable with the tabs on top. However, I still sometimes move the whole app when I intend to re-order a tab. Maybe that will fade away with time as well, but I'm not sure if it's the right interaction.

I haven't really missed the blue progress bar, though I do find myself moving to the left of the bar to refresh as opposed to the right (inside the bar). I understand this unifies it with mobile Safari, but I'm not sure it's the right decision either.

Aside from those two gripes, great browser. Fantastic rendering engine, CSS, and JavaScript. And the debugger is wonderful as well - I no longer have to run a separate Webkit install.